Garden Tractor Forums banner

Planning to break a promise (Updated with Pics)

2K views 21 replies 13 participants last post by  LilysDad 
#1 · (Edited by Moderator)
I am planning to break a promise of not purchasing any more garden tractors. I recently found MF 12 hydro with just a mower deck . It looks pretty good however I do not know enough about and I'm F 12 hydro to make a good decision. can you folks give me some things to look for specifically on the massey's? I'm confident I can check the hydro I just need to know what else to look for specific MF 12 hydro. I can't post pictures now I am on my phone at work. thank you in advance for any suggestions.

#3 ·
I have one myself waiting to be painted. The only things I have seen over the years that are problems would be the plastic dash is usually cracked or broken where they mount to the metal dash box. The plastic nose rings around the hood are broke or missing. The hood hinge where it meets the metal grill is usually weak or broke because it is welded to the light panel & hood area. These all can be fixed or replaced. The Hydro would be my biggest concern because that would be the most costly to repair or replace. Of coarse the Tech engines can be challenging to repair as most are because of lack of parts. I hope I didn't discourage you but like most things they can be fixed. Let us know with pics!

#6 · (Edited by Moderator)
Its just a minor relapse. We don't really promise not to get more, its just a loose guideline. Cleanse yourself by watching 2 chick flicks and get in touch with your feelings once(I bet you feel like getting another tractor). Good Luck, Rick

BTW I have resisted tractors this year but I did buy an engine and a 5' x 10' trailer. Hopefully the trailer will take LTs away.

#11 ·
Just got home. Thanks for the encouragement, I mean enabling.

It is supposed to run, just a bit of smoke now and then. The mower deck bearings and spindles are supposed to be good. He said he had a geared one too, although I didn't see it. I plan to go back tomorrow and check it out further. A couple of things I didn't like. There are two holes in the left side of the hood. The guy said he didn't know anything about it other than both tractors came out of a barn. That radio on the hood is a Massey AM radio. I think it's gaudy on the hood. I'm figuring it was for full sized tractors fenders. I'm thinking it's original paint.

With pictures, let me know what you guys think.

Thanks

20150421_173824_zpshzqcwbrz.jpg?14296770

20150421_173829_zps68ly5lbh.jpg?14296770

20150421_173835_zpsizeeopqg.jpg?14296770

20150421_173840_zpsyicxi6fh.jpg?14296770

20150421_173847_zps58vwpirv.jpg?14296770

#17 ·
I am woundering what year it is. I am guessing 1969 or older. It has the tractor in the top triangle on the front decal between the head lights. Noel

Reactions: daytime dave
#20 ·
Not sure who you "promised" Is that a "promise" like politicians give or was it more the type that will require heavy negotiation ?

Looks to me like that Massey is worth rolling up your sleeves for getting to the root of that "promise" and its potential ramifications...Good Luck !

Reactions: daytime dave
#22 ·
I am planning to break a promise of not purchasing any more garden tractors.
I would suggest that you, GL, and whoever start a new forum for people who are quiting GTs. It could be a great support for guys who are embarrassed to admit the love affair is over.

What is the function of the impromptu port holes in the hood? Buick wannabe?

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.