Garden Tractor Forums banner

1 - 11 of 11 Posts

·
Registered
327 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
So heres the deal I have a B48M in my Snapper 1855a now and this guy has a B43G for sale. What I need to know is what are the differences between the two engines. He says his is an 18 hp engine and so is my b48m. If this engine is an easy swap out for mine (if) it should ever be needed I just may buy it. But if the differences are non compatible I wont do it. Im sure the seller will tell me whatever I want hear just to sell his. I need someone who KNOWS the differences to EDUCATE ME PLEASE Thanks Nick

·
Super Moderator
54,019 Posts
From what I have found, the only difference between a B43 & B48 is the stroke. B43(M&G) should be a 16 horse. You can see the stroke difference in the post above. Just pull a head and check it.

·
Registered
327 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
This engine of his came out of a John Deere 318 and is the B43g The data I find shows that the motor used in the 318 is an 18hp Im confused here I know the b43m is a 16 hp just don't know anything about these engines that were in the john deeres

·
Super Moderator
54,019 Posts
Maybe the 'G' designates an 18 horse?

·
Super Moderator
54,019 Posts
I have searched many places for a manual for the 'G' models, but have not found anything. I think the Onan in 'Big Bertha is a B43G. The one FF has a B48G, which is supposed to be a 20 HP. The last one is a P220. They all look very much alike.

·
Registered
327 Posts
Discussion Starter · #10 ·
Thanks olcowhand for clearing up the confusion because it was the stock motor in the 318 is what the seller said

·
Nut Case
1,940 Posts
Check where the starter is mounted. Onan mounted the starter on either side depending on the engine model. Also some had solenoids on the starter and some didn't. Could cause clearance issues. All the Onan B's shared a lot of parts. Even the P series. Hope this helps.

Eric

Sent from my EVO using Tapatalk

Reactions: adolphsson09
1 - 11 of 11 Posts