Garden Tractor Forums banner

Porter Cable Mark 1

948 views 7 replies 3 participants last post by  jwbegor 
#1 ·
Hi, new here! Not new to garden tractors though. I recently (today) picked up a Porter Cable Mark 1 tractor. Missing the engine, seat, and gear selector lever. The hole for the lever has been covered, so it shouldn’t be full of junk… it rolls if I push it slow, I’m assuming it’s in first gear. I have everyone sprayed down with PB blaster, hoping it will free up. Foot controls and steering are locked up.

any information you folks can send my way would be appreciated. Thanks so much!
Tire Wheel Mower Vehicle Automotive tire
Tire Wheel Mower Vehicle Automotive tire
Rectangle Wood Tints and shades Artifact Gas

See less See more
#2 ·
Most of them had a small 5 3/4hp? Briggs engine but there were a few that had an Electric Start 8hp Kohler K181 in them. I worked on one for a fella 5 years ago. Got it running and found out that all it had was 1st and reverse and it sounded extremely crunchy. 2nd and 3rd were completely gone in the transmission. The guy still has it and would most likely sell it if your anywhere near south central Pa.

A Porter Cable with a factory equipped 8hp Kohler will have a cut out for the starter generator pulley on the bottom of the hood on the left side of the tractor.

This Facebook group is dedicated to those tractors if you are interested. Log into Facebook

This is the one that I worked on. Found an old Pic of it. It's the Green and White one.

Wheel Tire Vehicle Motor vehicle Automotive tire

3 more examples of a Porter Cable Mark 1 with an 8hp Kohler.

Wheel Tire Vehicle Automotive tire Motor vehicle
Wheel Land vehicle Tire Vehicle Automotive tire
Wheel Tire Automotive tire Motor vehicle Vehicle

#6 ·
Jack up the front end so that (what's left of the front tires) are not touching the ground. Unbolt the draglink and/or the tierods. Make sure that it's not just a stuck spindle. I had to put heat to the left spindle and spray down the right spindle with PB Blaster on the 1 that I got running. Left spindle was very stuck and the right spindle was tight but moved.

#7 ·
Jack up the front end so that (what's left of the front tires) are not touching the ground. Unbolt the draglink and/or the tierods. Make sure that it's not just a stuck spindle. I had to put heat to the left spindle and spray down the right spindle with PB Blaster on the 1 that I got running. Left spindle was very stuck and the right spindle was tight but moved.
I will check that. I’m pretty sure the spindles are free. But it’s worth a shot!

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.