Garden Tractor Forums banner
1 - 9 of 9 Posts

·
Registered
322 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hi guys, been a while since I posted on here.

So a while ago (like 3 months ago) I bought a 1050 as a parts tractor and I also got what I believe to be a cozy cab, it doesn't look to be homemade, but I'll post pics anyway :D

Anywho, I bought the lot mainly for 2 reasons, the tranny in the 1050 and the hydraulic pump that came with it. After moving it around a bit I started to notice that the 1050 would roll when I pushed it. Checked the free-wheeling pin, yep it's in there. Pushed it back and forth and sure enough, she rolls somewhat freely. Now this kinda got me ticked off because the guy I bought it from said it was a good transmission and I took his word for it. The weird thing is, it drives. It has a big old Briggs on it that barely runs, and has maybe 5 lbs of compression. But it does run, kind of. So my question is, what could potentially be wrong with the transmission?

·
Registered
322 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
I never even thought of checking the rear end play! I'll have to do that as i would like to swap it out to my 1254, along with quite a few other things.

·
Old, but not dead -- yet!
3,273 Posts
Yep wire supposed to be there, thats a fail safe so the pin dosent drop out!
Uh, oh !! ....The Bolens doc is slipping. :poke:

On his tractor the safety wire goes through the square heads of the 2 set screws which lock the collar to the axle. ...The safety wire prevents the screws from unscrewing.

Some other models used a hollow pin instead of the set screws, and the wire secured the pin, as Brian said. :thumbs:

·
DR. Bolens
19,077 Posts
Uh, oh !! ....The Bolens doc is slipping. :poke:

On his tractor the safety wire goes through the square heads of the 2 set screws which lock the collar to the axle. ...The safety wire prevents the screws from unscrewing.

Some other models used a hollow pin instead of the set screws, and the wire secured the pin, as Brian said. :thumbs:
Thanks Bruce, Didnt even notice that!

:brain_fart:

1 - 9 of 9 Posts