Garden Tractor Forums banner

Power Steering For An 1855

2K views 7 replies 6 participants last post by  olcowhand 
#1 ·
Reactions: Alc and KennyP
#3 ·
If I only had the $$$$$$!

#4 ·
It's a 4 port instead of a 5 port (with power beyond), but it would work. If placed before the hydraulic lift valves, while turning steering you will lose some flow to the lift circuit, and while dead heading your hydraulic valves, your steering will slow or stop, but it's not as big an issue as it sounds. I have a similar steering orbital valve on my Massey. Ideally you'd get a 5 port which won't have these symptoms.

#5 ·
#6 ·
That depends on the size of cylinder used for the power steering. A 1.5x8 cylinder will take 3.1 turns of the steering wheel lock to lock, and a 2x8 cylinder will take 5.6 turns.

Plumb it into the implement lift hydraulics off the hydro. That takes care of the situation that olcowhand mentioned as it pertains to FEL tasks. Most FELs use an auxilliary hydraulic system independant of the hydro circuitry.

It only takes a minor adjustment in operating practices to deal with that situation with the implement lift/power steering. It takes 2-4 seconds to lift an implement to full height. Most times you're either stopped or travelling straight when lifting an implement anyway.

It takes about 7 seconds to raise a FEL to full height and you're often turning at the same time.

#7 ·
That depends on the size of cylinder used for the power steering. A 1.5x8 cylinder will take 3.1 turns of the steering wheel lock to lock, and a 2x8 cylinder will take 5.6 turns.

Plumb it into the implement lift hydraulics off the hydro. That takes care of the situation that olcowhand mentioned as it pertains to FEL tasks. Most FELs use an auxilliary hydraulic system independant of the hydro circuitry.

It only takes a minor adjustment in operating practices to deal with that situation with the implement lift/power steering. It takes 2-4 seconds to lift an implement to full height. Most times you're either stopped or travelling straight when lifting an implement anyway.

It takes about 7 seconds to raise a FEL to full height and you're often turning at the same time.
Great info everybody. What is the pressure that the implement lift hydraulics provide? In other words, what do I need to make sure the cylinder I buy is rated to?

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.