Garden Tractor Forums banner
1 - 11 of 11 Posts

·
Registered
Joined
·
7 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Apologies if I've never really posted here, I haven't posted much on this forum, or the other forum (MTF?)

I thought I'd share something I've been working on for a bit. If you have a 1655 or 1855, you know the mower deck pullies are long gone and near unobtanium.

Here's what I'm working on. Withbhelp from a machine design buddy, we came up with a cog design out of aluminum. Another friend has a laser cutting business, so I developed a design using the processes I had access to. Each cog is made of layers of cog. In this version we used 1/8" aluminum stacked 9 pieces thick to make the 1.125 thick cog, and 3 disc's to make belt fences. The individual pieces were tumbled and deburred to make a smooth surface for the belt to ride on. The cogs were designed around the Gates belt. The only issue I have right nowmis that "0.125" aluminum sheet is only about 0.115 thick, so my 1.125 wide cog ended up about 1.035"... we'll see.

More to follow after I finish figuring out how to clamp the double stack together. I'm also considering a 3D printed composite version have another friend looking at glass reinforced filament for that. More to follow.

Gas Nickel Cylinder Machine Metal
Gear Bicycle part Gas Computer keyboard Auto part
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
127 Posts
"If you have a 1655 or 1855, you know the mower deck pullies are long gone and near unobtanium. "

Oh yes!! Only Toooo well!!

You have certainly come up with some novel methods that look quite promising.

Myself and a couple others here have also been working on this problem, I had been thinking about doing an aluminum casting having done quite a bit of casting several yrs back, so I went at it --- and was successful (after MANY hrs of frustration!)

Heres a link to my post with another member chiming in with his good results also.....

 

·
Registered
Joined
·
127 Posts
Forgot to mention how I joined the double ---- Having destroyed several of the pulleys, I had several of the original fences that, of course, had the bolt pattern, First just tried to use conventional 1/4" bolts/nuts, but that didnt work as they protruded to much. Ended up using carriage bolts, using a 5/8" end mill to dig a recess in the plate & casting just enough to get the hardware to run freely. Was not to thrilled with using carriage bolts as they are common grade steel - would've rather had grade 5, or better yet, grade 8 .... but, they are holding so far and I been using the deck to mow this summer. I only made the one casting, marrying it to a still good plastic, with the Al one being driven off the gear box. I'd like to go back and make castings of all of them..... maybe this winter???
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
184 Posts
I've been watching both threads guys, nice work guys!
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
7 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
Here's the double pulley assembled. I used 1/4" aluminum rod, pressed it through and then mushroomed the ends to peen the assembly together. If clearance is still an issue, I'll hit it with the tig and weld it flat.

It's awesome that there are others also trying to address this, awesome!

I'm going to try and install the pulley onto my deck this evening, it's getting close to leaf sucking weather.


Sent from my SM-G781V using Tapatalk
 

·
Super Moderator
Joined
·
54,603 Posts
Wow! 225 lb. weight reduction.
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
7 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
Test Run

I have about 40mins mow time on it now. We'll see how it lasts the fall. Time to make some improvements on the TracVac, and replace the hydro drive belts.


Sent from my SM-G781V using Tapatalk
 

·
Addicted
Joined
·
251 Posts
Wow, you did a really good job on those! I think Pacer would agree it’s nice to see another member working on these as well. I tried pretty much the same thing but my attempts with aluminum failed. I was using a plasma table and it didn’t cut the aluminum out good enough. So I switched gears to carbon steel, they turned out better but I haven’t tried them on the mower deck yet. I used 10 gauge material for them. I made up a little jig and stacked them and then plug welded them as I went. They’re a good deal heavier than the factory ones. I ended up spending a good deal of time at casting aluminum ones, it was something that I wanted to try to do for some time now.
 

Attachments

·
Registered
Joined
·
7 Posts
Discussion Starter · #10 ·
DMAX, the aluminum on the laser was decent, but it does leave a burr. I bought a Harbor Freight tumbler to debur, but I need different media. It took several hours to clean up. The Aluminum also helped with fitting the splines. They were really snug first install, but cleaned up with a few installs.

As for weight, I didn't really factor it.in, just knew that if I didn't window it, I'd be heavier. I'm 250g under original weight.

I'll probably have pieces cut for the 2 outer, and make spares.

So geeked to have my tractor working. First the Saginaw steering box then rewire, new mower PTO shaft and now good pullies....

Sent from my SM-G781V using Tapatalk
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
7 Posts
Discussion Starter · #11 ·
DMAX, the aluminum on the laser was decent, but it does leave a burr. I bought a Harbor Freight tumbler to debur, but I need different media. It took several hours to clean up. The Aluminum also helped with fitting the splines. They were really snug first install, but cleaned up with a few installs.

As for weight, I didn't really factor it.in, just knew that if I didn't window it, I'd be heavier. I'm 250g under original weight.

I'll probably have pieces cut for the 2 outer, and make spares.

So geeked to have my tractor working. First the Saginaw steering box then rewire, new mower PTO shaft and now good pullies....

Sent from my SM-G781V using Tapatalk
 
1 - 11 of 11 Posts
Top