Garden Tractor Forums banner
1 - 3 of 3 Posts

·
12 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I have a 1050 and the shaft has about 3/4 inch "free play" in it. I also have a 1256 and that one doesn't. The exposed ends of the shaft on both are the same. I've taken it out and I can't find anything wrong. Snap rings seem ok.. the oil seal doesn't seem to have a groove to hold it in place and slides on the shaft. Are the belts supposed to keep it where it belongs? Want to make sure everything is ok before I put the belts on and hook up my tiller. Just bought these as a package deal and very new and green to these little tractors. The 1050 was in working condition and the 1256 a restoration project. Oh, and they had wire wrapped around the shaft to take care of the free play I'm guessing. That's why I took it apart.

·
Accumulator
13,481 Posts
That does seem like an excessive amount of "free play". It shouldn't be like that. And yes,the belts will tend to keep it where it belongs to a certain extent,but that's not right.

Reactions: goodnews

·
DR. Bolens
19,077 Posts
That does seem like an excessive amount of "free play". It shouldn't be like that. And yes,the belts will tend to keep it where it belongs to a certain extent,but that's not right.

There is usually a bit of play , but there should not be as much as you described.
I'll attach a picture in case you didnt see an exploded view of the PTO yet so you can see if your possibly missing anything:

Attachments

1 - 3 of 3 Posts