Garden Tractor Forums banner
1 - 20 of 47 Posts

·
Registered
954 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Not really knowing where to place this, I thought this a good place.

I live on a river, the Milwaukee River, and she overflows her banks once in a while. Nothing major, but enough to be kinda a pain in the arse.

I raised my house 4. 5 feet, well enough to be floodproofed for a while. The driveway, and yard however, are still in zone AE. All my mechanicals are on the first floor, floodproofed well above the FEMA standard.

The driveway was under 3' of water, and we have been canoeing in and out for a week or two now. Finally got a bit of a respite from the rains, ( 7" plus this past two weeks) and I got out the pumps.

2 " electric, ABS pump. pulls 86,000 gal a day.

2 " gas, Red lion, fired by a Briggs 3.5 hp gas motor, pulls 120k gallons / day if I fuel it 24/7, which ain't gonna happen. Got another trash pump or two as well, but at one point or another the ground water percs up, and it is just a losing battle, two pumps for now is allright.

It's gonna be a while before I can run up and down my driveway in something other than a canoe, johnboat or jet-ski.

·
Super Moderator
54,617 Posts
I hope you can stay ahead of the game!

·
Proud to be Deplorable
29,904 Posts
Sounds like its time to invest in a higgins boat. Hate to hear about your troubles with the water. That has to be rough to deal with.
I was thinking an old WWII "Duck"
Vehicle Tire Wheel Automotive lighting Motor vehicle

They can be done up real nice. Here is an example.
Water Boat Tire Vehicle Dukw

Attachments

·
Tractorholic
3,907 Posts
Good luck and be careful out there. My last house was 4 ft above ground and I never believed water would get over the 18 ft dike.
And really it did not. Instead a gusher came up through the RR tressel and I had 6 ft of water in the garage at ground level.
That put 1 foot of water in the house. I had the dubious honor of making the national news canoeing to my house in August of 2010.

·
Getting Out!
8,205 Posts
Ummm! If water is all around and coming up bigger, WHERE does one PUMP the water too? Wouldn't it be a "cycle" of out in yard and back in house and out and in?? Unless you have another down sloaping area to pump it too that goes elsewhere??

·
Registered
954 Posts
Thanks for all the kind thoughts folks. That amphibious car sure seems like a good idea, although our johnboat does quite nicely for now. Having all the land around here underwater in 2004, and 2008 makes a hovercraft or amphicar ook like a good option for the future. Luckily, this flood event was not nearly so extreme and we have some ground exposed still.

The pumps are working away, and made a bit of a difference overnight. I let the gas one run out of fuel around 10 PM so the neighborhood and I can sleep at night. It's nice to know the electric one just toils away quietly through the night :)

Boyscout- you are correct, it can indeed be a waste on energy and money to pump early, I waited until the river went well back into it's banks before starting to pump to it , and also waited for a decent weather window .

Moose- I'll get some pics up for you later on.

·
Registered
954 Posts
Discussion Starter · #17 ·
On our way out to brunch this morning, our neighbors thanked us for starting the pumping out process. Their driveways are now showing gravel , ours is a little further off this week with it being the lowest of the bunch.

As promised Moose :) The last two pics , one shows the neighbors driveway starting to show up, and the very last one shows the our road through the trees. My driveways are under that water somewhere, running diagonal out to the road.

Attachments

·
Registered
954 Posts
Just a little update- the 3 Hp Briggs is slowly dying, it is lacking power, and shows signs of an early silvery oil failure, and some torture. No read head lift on this pumping, maybe 4' at best..... but 150 ' of discharge line, uphill,,,,

Ah well, time for another motor. Whadda ya want for 75 buckaroos on CL ? The suction hose, screens and pump were well worth that. :thumbs:

1 - 20 of 47 Posts