Garden Tractor Forums banner

questions about a large frame 1476

1K views 10 replies 11 participants last post by  Xrperry 
#1 ·
Hi everyone,

I've been speaking to a gentleman that says he has a Bolens large frame 1476 with mower deck. The tractor does not run, and he believes it has valve issues. He has been telling me for about 8 months now that he is gonna get his son over and dig it out of his barn to sell it. I asked for pictures way back when he initially called, and the model number. He said he'd get me pictures and he wasn't sure on what model it even was. Well I called numerous times and his excuse was that his son is always way too busy to help him get the tractor out to take pictures, he also will not give me a ballpark price on it. He lives a few hours away, so i don't want to drive there if he thinks a non running 1476 is worth $1500 and I think its worth $200. So I gave up calling on a regular basis and I've been just touching base with him like 0nce a month over the last 8 months. Well I recently called him and he said the tractor was still in the barn and his son hasn't had time to help him. He started describing somethings about it and its condition and then mentioned the tractor had a 4 speed gear shift trans in it. I've never heard of such a thing on a large frame, and I thought all large frames were hydrostatic I told him, but he insists it is a 1476 and has a 4 speed, he even was describing the shift pattern to me also. So, am I wrong? Were there gear shift large frames? Or does this guy think he has a large frame and he has another bolens model? I don't know what to do at this point. He wont provide pictures, he says its really nice shape, but I've heard that 1000x, I don't want to waste half a day and a bunch of diesel driving down there with a trailer to find the wrong tractor buried in a barn, and or have a ridiculous price set by him on it by the time I help him get it out and unburied. So any info and advice at this point would be greatly appreciated! Thanks!

See less See more
#3 ·
Won't be a 1476 or any other Large Frame unless some one changed it over to something, they were all hydros. Size wise( perhaps causing his confusion ) it might be a medium frame 14 hp gear shift , or it's been buried so long he doesn't remember , ask for pics, he needs to get it dug out anyways if he wants to sell it.
:ditto:

#4 ·
If he hasn't come through with pics, etc. in 8 months he probably won't. Drive down and look it over yourself. Take a GOOD light with you. Do the price deal while it is still buried after you know what it is. If you don't want to risk the time and fuel, forget it completely. I had one large frame and wish I never seen it so personally I would not go across the street for one.

#5 ·
He might have looked at pictures on the web, saw a large squarish hood, seemed to remember that it had a 14 HP engine, and decided he must have a 1476, when he actually has a G14. As said, ALL Large Frames are hydro tractors. I have a bunch of them, and am glad to have every one!

#8 ·
He might have looked at pictures on the web, saw a large squarish hood, seemed to remember that it had a 14 HP engine, and decided he must have a 1476, when he actually has a G14. As said, ALL Large Frames are hydro tractors. I have a bunch of them, and am glad to have every one!
A G14 would not have a 4 speed in it either, it should be the 3 speed with the high/low on the transmission if I am not mistaken. Did any of the medium frame tractors have a 4spd available?

Jim

#10 · (Edited by Moderator)
If it's a gear drive, it's not a large frame unless someone heavily modified it with one but that's highly unlikely.

If you make the trip out site unseen, I would be prepared that it's not what you're expecting it to be.

See if his son or other family member can snap a couple of phone pics real quick and text them to you. As ClassicBolens said, it's probably a 1467.

#11 ·
i kinda had the same thing happen to me, i seen a g14 under a fir tree, i stopped and asked the guy about it. he said it run out of gas and he let it sit there. he said he would figure out a price, he didnt want it anymore.i stopped by half dozen times, he said he didnt know what to sell it for. this was at least 4 years ago and it was a good looking machine.i gave up, the poor bolens is still sitting there, it hasnt moved an inch.

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.