Garden Tractor Forums banner
1 - 7 of 7 Posts

·
Tractorholic
Joined
·
216 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hi guy's,
Need a info on the difference betwwen the 1650 and 1655. I now that the 1650 uses a single cylinder kohler and the 55 uses a onan twin. Right? Now is the 55 a bigger frame than the 50. From looking at some picture on here , the 55 does not have a direct drive form the engine to the hydro, but like a drop down belt. Is the 50 set up the same way or does it have a drive shaft directly from engine to hydro? Looks that the 55 uses 6 lug rear wheels also and bigger front tires. Any infor you can give me would be great.

Thanks,
Mark
 

·
Red Tractor Nut & Diesel Addict
Joined
·
32,409 Posts
MAV said:
Hi guy's,
Need a info on the difference betwwen the 1650 and 1655. I now that the 1650 uses a single cylinder kohler and the 55 uses a onan twin. Right? Now is the 55 a bigger frame than the 50. From looking at some picture on here , the 55 does not have a direct drive form the engine to the hydro, but like a drop down belt. Is the 50 set up the same way or does it have a drive shaft directly from engine to hydro? Looks that the 55 uses 6 lug rear wheels also and bigger front tires. Any infor you can give me would be great.

Thanks,
Mark
50 is direct shaft to hydro, belts up to pto shaft. 55 dropshaft via belts to hydro, direct to rear pto. Front axle beam is heavier on the 55, plus 3 bolt rims with hubs on 1" axles. 50 has 3/4" axles. 55 has longer frame also. 55 has 6 bolt rims and larger tires front & rear. 50 has 16x6.50/8 and 23x10.50/12, while the 55 has 18x8.50/8 and 26x12/12 tires.
Wanted to add....Larry caught me at a brain fart. I had the 55's as having 4 lug front rims, and Larry pointed out they are 3 bolt. My JBI Bush Hog has the 4 bolt fronts, so I got comfoozed.
 

·
Accumulator
Joined
·
13,481 Posts
olcowhand said:
Wanted to add....Larry caught me at a brain fart. I had the 55's as having 4 lug front rims, and Larry pointed out they are 3 bolt. My JBI Bush Hog has the 4 bolt fronts, so I got comfoozed.
Not hard to do when you have as many tractors as you do.
 

·
Premium Member
Joined
·
15,923 Posts
I still can't get over how big the 1655 is that I just got. It dwarfs the other tractors I have. I can't wait to get it back together. Hopefully this week sometime. I have an article to write before I do anything else though.
 

·
Tractorholic
Joined
·
216 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
Thanks guys for the info. Got a couple more questons when you get time. Does the 50 and 55 use the same hydro/ rear end?
Also would it be possible to make the 55 a direct drive to the hydro and belt to pto? I am guessing the the 1655 would be about the same size as a 400/420 Deere and the 1650 the size of a 317/318. Am I on the right track.
Again thanks for all the help
Mark
 

·
Red Tractor Nut & Diesel Addict
Joined
·
32,409 Posts
MAV said:
Thanks guys for the info. Got a couple more questons when you get time. Does the 50 and 55 use the same hydro/ rear end?
Also would it be possible to make the 55 a direct drive to the hydro and belt to pto? I am guessing the the 1655 would be about the same size as a 400/420 Deere and the 1650 the size of a 317/318. Am I on the right track.
Again thanks for all the help
Mark
Same diff/hydro exactly. As to drive shafts layout, anything can be done, but worth it...not really. I did that with my 1655, BUT, the rear PTO was not to be installed, so made it easy. The twin belts to the hydro will not slip unless worn out, or improperly tensioned.
Yep, you have the sizes about right to the JD's. I think the 1650 is a tad larger than the 300 series though.
 

·
Accumulator
Joined
·
13,481 Posts
I thought about converting my 1655 to direct shaft drive to the pump,but changed my mind,put on new belts and pulleys and now it's fine,no slipping at all.
 
1 - 7 of 7 Posts
Top