Garden Tractor Forums banner
1 - 17 of 17 Posts

·
Homelite Owner Extraordinaire
3,174 Posts
Got to meet him once while I was out in Wyoming. Seemed nice to me at that time. He was on his way to Pocatello ID. for a show. Stopped with his buses in a little town where I was working as a DSO. Liked his music since I was little. Mom and Dad used to listen to country when I was growing up. My favorites of his was, "He stopped loving her today", "Who's gonna fill their shoes", and " White Lightning". RIP George.

·
Premium Member
15,608 Posts
George will be missed. He had more #1 hits then anyone else in Country music. I've met him a couple times in N. Georgia at the Harris Music Hall in Hiawassee, GA. I have listened to his music as long as I can remember, Dad played his new albums of George when I was a kid. When he came out in the Mid 90's with "Rockin Chair", he was on top again. He lived his life to the fullest and nearly died several times from car wrecks, women, and booze and still made it to the age of 81.

George, You will be missed !! Rest in PEACE !!

·
Freedom is not Free. Thank those in uniform for yo
8,677 Posts
Man first I heard of George's passing. RIP George. TD&H isn't that music hall neat? I've been there several times years ago.

·
Premium Member
15,608 Posts
Bill, It's a very neat place and the Fair they have every year is a very cool thing to go to. It is only 45 minutes from where we used to live and still visit several times a year.

Here's a video of George doing one of my favorites, He did it at the Grand Ole Opry in 1999,

·
Freedom is not Free. Thank those in uniform for yo
8,677 Posts
Bill, It's a very neat place and the Fair they have every year is a very cool thing to go to. It is only 45 minutes from where we used to live and still visit several times a year.
Yep been to the fair as well. The thing I liked about the fair is they had expo's and things you don't normally see at a fair. The music Hall doesn't have a bad seat in the place. :thumbs:

·
Registered
2,621 Posts
May the old Possum rest in peace. He'll be deeply missed, but his music will live in our hearts for ever.

I've been listening to his music for a long, long time. He is my favorite country music singer, and I think I have all but two of his albums. I started listening to him back when he was still married to Tammy, at the age of 14. He probably wasn't the best role model for me back then, but I can remember trying to sing just like him many times. There wasn't an episode of Hee-Haw, that he was on, that I haven't seen. Some of my favorite songs were "Welcome to the USA today", "He stopped loving her today", "It's finally Friday", "Who's gonna fill their shoes", "Writing on the wall", "A place out in the Country" and "The bird song". I remember attending the New Jersey State Fair, just so I could see him in concert, but he showed up too drunk to walk, let alone trying to sing. I was so disappointed, but I still listened to his music. He just had a way of pulling you in to his music. Some people hated him, but most people loved him. God Bless you George!

·
Live long and prosper
6,791 Posts
I have loved his music since I first heard it. We sure will miss the Possum.

·
Registered
429 Posts
What a great legend. Listening to a bunch of him right now. Rest in Peace

Reactions: backwoods

·
Super Moderator
54,818 Posts
Rest in Peace, George! You were an inspiration to many!

I loved all his songs, but "He Stopped Lovin' Her Today" was my favorite. Thanks for the video, Brian!

·
Registered
977 Posts
Rest in Peace, George! You were an inspiration to many!

I loved all his songs, but "He Stopped Lovin' Her Today" was my favorite. Thanks for the video, Brian!
I think bar none, that song was the very best country music song and performance ever done. I hear it every so often on WHVW and I stop and just live right along with the lyrics. Country's long gone to the canines without the greats like Ol' Possum. I heard somewhere that he had a #1 song in each of the 5 decades of his career. Nobody's to beat that. Rest easy, George.

·
Procrastinators unite tomorrow
1,417 Posts
The song "Honky Tonk Song" starts with this, RIP George

"I saw those blue lights flashin'/Over my left shoulder/He walked right up and said/"Get off that riding mower"/I said "Sir, let me explain/ Before you put me in the tank/She took my keys away/And now she won't drive me to drink."

·
Super Moderator
54,818 Posts
Thanks, Brian! That was good!

·
Only member from Western South Dakota!
1,772 Posts
Yes, another legend gone for sure, and it really is kind of amazing he lived as long as he did with his addictions and lifestyle. I think "Who's Gonna Fill Thier Shoes" is probably my favorite song by the Ol' Possum.

It is good to see Alabama still is out there touring!

Later---DAC

1 - 17 of 17 Posts