Garden Tractor Forums banner

1 - 5 of 5 Posts

·
Registered
2,233 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
How bad does a stop button have to get before it will short and stop the tractor from getting spark? After completely replacing the ignition in my '59 (except for the points) I still have no spark, but noticed the insulator on the stop button are getting bad(help!).

·
DR. Bolens
19,060 Posts

·
Old, but not dead -- yet!
3,232 Posts
Try disconnecting the wire from the stop switch, and make sure it doesn't touch any metal.

If you still do not have spark, the problem is elsewhere.

The wire itself may be grounding out somewhere, or bad points (assuming everything else is good).

The stop wire may be grounding out against the point spring or the points cover.

·
Registered
2,233 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
I was thinking about one of those kits any way, send me an invoice via PM, and I'll pay you via paypal, might as well do it regardless.

·
Registered
2,233 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
Try disconnecting the wire from the stop switch, and make sure it doesn't touch any metal.

If you still do not have spark, the problem is elsewhere.

The wire itself may be grounding out somewhere, or bad points (assuming everything else is good).

The stop wire may be grounding out against the point spring or the points cover.
Was planning on replacing it eventually anyways, so I'm getting a kit. The wire connects under the flywheel, and is Brand New, might put new points in it anyway if someone can give me a part#, I'll get it at my local shop.

1 - 5 of 5 Posts