Garden Tractor Forums banner
1 - 18 of 18 Posts

·
Bob's Lawn and Garden LLC
2,183 Posts
Just got this Massey in about a month ago and just getting around to post some pics of it. I would say it is rare as I have never seen one before. The tractor is rough but I had never seen the 540 kit for them before so I thought I would post some pics. The tractor is getting parted out but I thought I would post it here for the massey guys.

Helmet Motor vehicle Automotive tire Automotive lighting Automotive exterior
Motor vehicle Automotive tire Automotive lighting Bumper Vehicle
Automotive tire Motor vehicle Automotive lighting Bumper Automotive exterior
Wheel Tire Vehicle Automotive tire Motor vehicle

Attachments

·
2,183 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
You can not use this and the 3pt at the same time from what it looks like. I have seen a few different brands that have these like Bolens, John Deere, Sears and so on. This is the best setup I have seen. It takes about 1 min to take it one and off.

·
Registered
4,971 Posts
I don't see how the 3pt could be used at all being the 3rd arm hits the 540's housing???
The guy I bought my 1855 from had a 540 adapter with no shield and a bush hog style mower on his other MF 1855 and he was mowing, whether he could lift it, or if he had some sort of cobbled up rig, I don't know. I do know he commented to me that the 2000 rpm implements were not plentiful and he needed a brush mower. Beyond that it could have had any combo of things, I glanced at it because it didn't interest me, I just used a 5' blade on mine.

·
Registered
254 Posts

·
Premium Member
15,608 Posts
Reactions: ENafziger

·
Red Tractor Nut & Diesel Addict
32,409 Posts
Nice find! These aren't that rare though. In fact, there's one for sale on eBay right now! The ad says it does have a broken spine, but it's probably still usable.

http://www.ebay.com/itm/Massey-Ferguson-Snapper-1200-1450-1650-1655-1855-Rear-540-PTO-/231229305136?pt=LH_DefaultDomain_0&hash=item35d6573130
Not a broken spine, that's a typo. What Bob meant is that the broken stud stops the unit from spinning, as in "does not spin". He just mistakenly added the "e" on spin. The stud could easily be made.

·
2,183 Posts
Discussion Starter · #14 ·
Not a broken spine, that's a typo. What Bob meant is that the broken stud stops the unit from spinning, as in "does not spin". He just mistakenly added the "e" on spin. The stud could easily be made.
Thanks Dan sometimes my fingers are faster then my eyes LOL. I got it fix so should be no mistakes now.

·
Registered
254 Posts
Do you know how the unit works internally? Is the gear reduction accomplished by belts? Chain/sprockets? Gear-to-gear?

·
Tractorholic
1,183 Posts
I have 2 of those pto units..They bolt to the back of the 1200 up to the 1855.You need to have the rear p.t.o. in order to use this unit.Very nice units and simple to mount.I have pictures in johndeereelfmans attach thread.

·
Registered
254 Posts
I already posted one of these but, I picked another one up at the Dover show this past weekend.It's a N.O.S. Massey 540 P.T.O. unit for the 1200,1450 1650,1655,1850,1855I think that covers them all.Stiill in original box.Thanks to Nutndun.If he didn't tell me about it I probably would've missed it.Thanks George.

attachicon.gif
jd 140 061.JPG
attachicon.gif
jd 140 058.JPG
attachicon.gif
jd 140 059.JPG
Wow!!!!!!!!!!!! You found one that was new?! That is beautiful!

1 - 18 of 18 Posts