Garden Tractor Forums banner
1 - 20 of 27 Posts

·
Registered
2,305 Posts
Pretty nice shot... There are quite a few moose up here that are albino.

Reactions: larryd

·
Super Moderator
14,167 Posts
See lots of white tails in our own yard, eating our shrubs and plants unfortunately. Never seen a white one like that though. Thanks for the pic. We may have a solution to the deer problem at our place this spring but not one I am comfortable with. Found bear tracks in the yard mixed in with the deer prints. The prints were 7-8" across so it looks like a large black bear!!

·
Premium Member
2,972 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
We may have a solution to the deer problem at our place this spring but not one I am comfortable with. Found bear tracks in the yard mixed in with the deer prints. The prints were 7-8" across so it looks like a large black bear!!
I am not comfortable with that either! The only bears I have seen around here are in the Kansas City Zoo and that works well with me! The MDC (Missouri Dept. of Conservation) says that black bears are slowly migrating north to Missouri from Arkansas and if they take their sweet time getting here I am just fine with that!

·
Banned
5,695 Posts
I was coming home last fall after a late day in the tractor world, and I could have sworn that there was an albino deer that jumped the road with the rest of a herd a few miles from my house. I didn't say anything to anyone because I figured somebody would put two and two together and claim that I had stopped "somewhere" on the way home.

Turns out, someone got an albino deer here locally. So I guess I did see one after all!

Ben W.

Reactions: larryd

·
Premium Member
2,972 Posts
I was coming home last fall after a late day in the tractor world, and I could have sworn that there was an albino deer that jumped the road with the rest of a herd a few miles from my house. I didn't say anything to anyone because I figured somebody would put two and two together and claim that I had stopped "somewhere" on the way home.

Turns out, someone got an albino deer here locally. So I guess I did see one after all!

Ben W.
I have, to use a politically correct expression, 'harvested' a BUNCH of deer in the last 30 years or so I have been hunting them with a bow and a gun every deer season here in Missouri, many years taking at least two, sometimes three a year, and mostly does (they taste better!) I have not had the opportunity to take a albino deer and I don't think I could. Yea, I know it is just another smorgasbord on the hoof, but .....

·
Registered
10,157 Posts
an old military base in western NY is now a reserve for them ... they have been here in NY as long as I have been alive 34 yrs ...since there really localized to the military base I think there some kind of mutant deere LOL

not taking away from the original post just trying to add to it ...
When I was there over twenty years ago, We joked that the deer were radio active. The base was fully enclosed in very high chainlink fence many years before. A small herd of deer was trapped inside. The albinos showed up but were not culled as in the open. They seemed to thrive and there were quite a few.

The things that the base scrapped made me sick. One day I saw an M1 clip and remarked about it. The guy said that they had just scrapped millions of them.

·
Registered
2,305 Posts
i have never seen one alive. but i hear storries of them around. Its said that if u kill on u will have bad luck the rest of ur life
Who says that?? In Alberta the native american's say if you harvest a albino moose your family will have prosperity for the rest of your life.. Not that i would shoot one. Heck if a deer looks at me, I mean right at me in the scope i can't find the heart to shoot em..

·
Premium Member
2,972 Posts
Who says that?? In Alberta the native american's say if you harvest a albino moose your family will have prosperity for the rest of your life.. Not that i would shoot one. Heck if a deer looks at me, I mean right at me in the scope i can't find the heart to shoot em..
patience, just wait 'til she turns broadside, then WHAM!!!! works for me...

·
Registered
2,305 Posts
Now when im looking at em i make sure the scope doesn't get very high on the neck.. only long enough to confirm what i am shooting..

·
Premium Member
2,972 Posts
Discussion Starter · #20 ·
I feed the deer in my back yard 60-80lbs of corn a month year round and haven't seen an albino on my camers yet but maybe someday

larryd
thank you for that! that is way cool!

I have been placing a game camera in front of a salt lick on my property for the last few years...salt lick has been there for 20 plus years....

1 - 20 of 27 Posts