Garden Tractor Forums banner

1 - 3 of 3 Posts

·
Registered
3 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Getting ready to replace a badly leaking transaxle (six speed) oil seal on my 1220. Any recommendations for things to be careful of? Once the nuts, washers, etc.... have been removed, do you use a hammer to remove the axle shaft to get to the leaking seal? I know there is also an internal smaller seal in the axle and I am concerned when I remove the axle, that I might damage the smaller seal on the threads, etc..... I am sure that Bolens had some type of tool when removing the axle from the transaxle.... Any advice would be appreciated....

·
DR. Bolens
19,060 Posts

·
Old, but not dead -- yet!
3,232 Posts
Getting ready to replace a badly leaking transaxle (six speed) oil seal on my 1220. Any recommendations for things to be careful of? Once the nuts, washers, etc.... have been removed, do you use a hammer to remove the axle shaft to get to the leaking seal? I know there is also an internal smaller seal in the axle and I am concerned when I remove the axle, that I might damage the smaller seal on the threads, etc..... I am sure that Bolens had some type of tool when removing the axle from the transaxle.... Any advice would be appreciated....
You do not have to remove the axle shaft to replace any of the seals.

You do have to remove the hub from whichever (or both) side(s) the seal is leaking.

1 - 3 of 3 Posts