Garden Tractor Forums banner

1 - 8 of 8 Posts

·
Tractorholic
3,097 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hello,

I have a question about rebuilding my 610 deck which fits the 10 and 12 tractors. I've purchased the bearings and seals from NAPA auto parts, and will update the sticky with those numbers once I confirm they fit.

My question is this: How do I lubricate the needle bearings for the lower shaft?

Do I add grease nipples?

Or just oil/grease on assembly, which then lasts the "life of the bearing" ?

Reactions: MFDAC

·
4,473 Posts
That's the way to go add a grease fitting.

Sent from my SM-G930V using Tapatalk

·
Only member from Western South Dakota!
1,771 Posts
Although I haven't done it yet Howard, I read on this site somewhere that doing like Doug and Don said is right on but also add a little plug opposite on the housing. Remove the plug, grease the zirk until there is fresh grease coming out the plug.

I know there's a good write-up somewhere on here but can't remember how to find it right now.

DAC

·
Only member from Western South Dakota!
1,771 Posts
Hello,

I have a question about rebuilding my 610 deck which fits the 10 and 12 tractors. I've purchased the bearings and seals from NAPA auto parts, and will update the sticky with those numbers once I confirm they fit.

My question is this: How do I lubricate the needle bearings for the lower shaft?

Do I add grease nipples?

Or just oil/grease on assembly, which then lasts the "life of the bearing" ?
I found the link--- it is up above in the cutting deck sticky. It appears there were no purge plugs added though, so I don't know where I remember that from. All our greasable gearboxes and greasable electric motors at work require the removal of a plug before lubrication to prevent blowing out seals.

http://gardentractortalk.com/forums/topic/5281-mf-610-mower-deck-restoration/

DAC

·
Tractorholic
3,097 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
I was really wondering about that, didn't want to blow out the seal on this

Reactions: MFDAC

·
Tractorholic
3,097 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
ANNNNNNDD.....Don't want to put in bearings this year and have them gone bad next year

·
Tractorholic
866 Posts
Seeing as how this topic is up and my rebuild from 2010 was brought up... And because I just happen to be replacing the last of those crappy diecast pulleys... (oh, only use steel pulleys, the diecast ones will fail... yearly)

Anyway, I just pressure washed the deck to work on it and grabbed a couple photos to show how well it has held up for the last 7 years. I do wish I had the underside of the top cover sprayed though. That is taking a beating.

Oh... and if you look close you will see the grease fittings on my spindles in the photos.

Attachments

1 - 8 of 8 Posts