Garden Tractor Forums banner
1 - 12 of 12 Posts

·
Deceased
4,845 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
OK...I'm having a bit of a problem getting the rear wheels off of the 1886.

I got the 6 lug nuts off OK, but the wheel still refused to come off.

It "looks" like that hub is keeping it from coming off and that I'm going to have to remove that 1 1/16 nut.

I looked at the 1886-01 parts catalog, and it doesn't look like I should have to do that.

What gives :confuse::confuse::confuse:

Any and all help cheerfully received.

·
Premium Member
5,740 Posts
hammer helps.

·
Deceased
4,845 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
I was thinking BFH :D

Anyway, finally got the right side off, the new tire on, and it's at the local JD dealer getting loaded with Rim Guard.

I'll pick it up tomorrow, and get the left side off, changed, and filled.

I sprayed the left side with PBBlaster, so maybe that will help.

·
Super Moderator
14,167 Posts
When I've had that happen I've loosened the nuts and retightened them hand tight. Then take it for a short drive where you can use the brakes or a lot of torque from the motor to break it free. It's easy to damage something by pounding or prying on it.

·
Deceased
4,845 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
Just got back from picking up the first loaded tire.

Dang, but that rascal is HEAVY! Took two of us to get it into the bed of my F-150.

Now I get to rassle that rascal...in the mud and rain...back onto the tractor, and get the left side off.

·
Deceased
4,845 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
OK...now I'm starting to get worried.

Got the right tire on and the left one off....WAY too easy.

I just KNOW that something is gonna bite me.

·
Accumulator
13,481 Posts
Let's hope not.

·
Deceased
4,845 Posts
Discussion Starter · #10 ·
Well...I got "nibbled" on, not bit....so far.

Left wheel had a pinhole in it that a PO had tried to weld. Unfortunately he missed it, and the weld was next to the pinhole. It wasn't really an issue previously because the tires had both been tubed. Wasn't until we went tubeless that it showed up.

A bit a grinding and a 'proper' weld later, the new tire is mounted, and getting "Juiced" as I type.

·
Old, but not dead -- yet!
3,273 Posts
OldBuzzard said:
....previously the tires had both been tubed. Wasn't until we went tubeless that it showed up.

A bit a grinding and a 'proper' weld later, the new tire is mounted, and getting "Juiced" as I type.
I curious why you did not use tubes again with liquid-filled tires?

·
Deceased
4,845 Posts
Discussion Starter · #12 ·
When I called the Rim Guard folks, the guy there was quite specific that you need to use METAL valve stems because the 'beet juice' attacks the ADHESIVE that they use in the rubber ones.

I didn't ask him about using tubes, but I'm thinking that they would be a no-no with Rim Guard for the same reason.

1 - 12 of 12 Posts