Garden Tractor Forums banner

Repowered MF12

2K views 7 replies 5 participants last post by  mjodrey 
#1 ·
I am in the process of repowering a MF12G with a 13hp Honda GX390 knock off.
Has anyone done this as well? I have positioned it to engage the PTO pulley correctly but in doing so, the Park postion does not work well anymore. I think that the drive
belt may be too tight now. Does anyone know what size increments the belts come in?
If I can get a belt just a little longer I think the problem will be solved.

Thanks!

#4 ·
:ditto:

Also original crank is 1 1/8" dia. Honda clones are 1"
Don't know how your going to mount the original pulley, the Vari drive belt is wide.
For me the Hydro is a standard belt I bought new pulleys same outside dia. as original for a 1" crank, and used original belt.

#6 · (Edited by Moderator)
The honda clone I used the same mounting holes as the HH120 did.
For the choke I drilled a small hole in the choke lever on the engine and fabed up a bracket to hold the outside cable, did it 2 different ways, 1 the cable goes around the left side using the original choke control, the other, the cable goes around the right side using a push pull type control.

Added
I just looked at your pics. and saw how you did yours, you must of shimmed or used a bushing in the crank for the pulley.
When I did mine I mounted the engine in the same mounting holes and tried to make everything fit without cutting up the hood or grill, ended up cutting small notch for the exhaust.
Removed the air cleaner cover, used the gas tank that came with the engine and modified the exhaust to mount the muffler on the outside, cut the manifold pipe and welded in an iron pipe 90.
PTO pulley I used is a bit larger so I used a longer belt to make it work, one has a double pulley, the shiny tractor has 2 separate pulleys, that one the PTO pulley is almost the same dia. and the PTO pulleys line up better.

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.