Garden Tractor Forums banner
1 - 8 of 8 Posts

·
Registered
340 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I decided to fix up my Cub Cadet 680 because I need a tractor to drag junk mowers and stuff and a lawn tractor just won't cut it. And my old Bush Hog's transmission went out so it might be a long time before it's fixed. I hate the way the Kohler K301 without balance gears vibrates, and it doesn't run very well anyway. My uncle has a late 90s or 2000s Cub Cadet with a Vanguard V-twin in it. It's just sitting around so I'm going to ask if he will sell it to me. The 680's hydro is leaking oil from a check valve so I've got to fix that (Seperate thread).

I got a pair of free ATV tires that I mounted on the back today. They seem to be in good shape. Lord willing they will continue to
Food Amber Cuisine Ingredient Dish

Tire Wheel Automotive tire Motor vehicle Tread

Wheel Tire Automotive tire Motor vehicle Vehicle

Tire Wheel Vehicle Automotive tire Tread
Tire Wheel Vehicle Automotive tire Motor vehicle

hold air!

·
Super Moderator
55,655 Posts
Didn't know that model even existed. Guess it be MTD built made the difference.

·
Fixer of Broken junk
5,142 Posts
CCC built. They used alot of leftover IH built parts and IH tooling to make those. Does it have the cast iron center section like my CCC built 782?

It should have the better fine splined axles and aluminum axle tubes. The old cast iron axle tubes were prone to breaking especially if ya pull with one. Instead of just breaking like the cast iron axle tubes can do, the uluminum axle tubes can flex a bit. And the fine splined axles don't break or twist off or twist the splines in the carrier nearly as fast.

Those relief valves require machining to rebuild. You have to carefully machine the small end off on a lathe and replace the O-Rings and springs and Oring backer if it has gotten brittle and cracked. And then weld it back on and reshape it on a lathe. I seen a thread years ago that someone had rebuilt a set at home on a small lathe. He cut the tip off and threaded it and made a new threaded tip and used red loctite to secure it in place. I think it was on one onlycubcadets.net but it might have been on the old IHcubcadet site that got whipped and revamped a few years ago.

Once you rebuild or replace 1 the other one will start leaking as well. One on my 1541 was leaking when I got it and I replaced it with a good used one. I took the other one out and cleaned it and it was good for about 2 weeks and then the tactor abruptly stopped moving forward. It wasn't leaking fluid so I think 1 of the springs had broken or collapsed. It lost all forward momentum because it was basically stuck in Bypass. I replaced it with another good used one and got it moving again but it's hard to tell how long they will last.

This is probibly the best option for relief valves even if they are not leaking yet. Send them both in and have them rebuilt with Modern "VITON" o-rings, stainless steel springs (that will not get weak and collapse or break from rust), the Teflon o-ring backer and 1- 7/16" Grade 25 ball bearing.

·
Fixer of Broken junk
5,142 Posts
1 good thing about the softer compound of an ATV tire is that they really grip on the bead of a garden tractor rim. If they leak you can put tubes in them without worrying about the tire slipping on the bead and ripping a valve stem off. They work good with fluid in them. Without fluid they can be pretty unstable because of the softer compound and thinner sidewalls especially on a OEM Dunlop quad tire with the soft 2 ply side walls.

I had a set pretty aggressive 8 ply ATV tires on my 582 for a while until I got a stick through the sidewall of 1. I was hauling firewood with it and a sharp stick punched rite up through the side wall. Let me tell ya, they were a bear to get on a garden tractor rim. And I had a heck of a time getting them to seat even using lube. They sealed up but it took around 50lbs of air me beating on the tire with my 5lb sledge hammer to get them to seat fully. After I poked a big hole in 1 they came off and I put a set of good used GoodYear turf tires on it that I took off of another garden tractor.

Wheel Tire Vehicle Tractor Automotive tire

·
Registered
340 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
CCC built. They used alot of leftover IH built parts and IH tooling to make those. Does it have the cast iron center section like my CCC built 782?

It should have the better fine splined axles and aluminum axle tubes. The old cast iron axle tubes were prone to breaking especially if ya pull with one. Instead of just breaking like the cast iron axle tubes can do, the uluminum axle tubes can flex a bit. And the fine splined axles don't break or twist off or twist the splines in the carrier nearly as fast.

Those relief valves require machining to rebuild. You have to carefully machine the small end off on a lathe and replace the O-Rings and springs and Oring backer if it has gotten brittle and cracked. And then weld it back on and reshape it on a lathe. I seen a thread years ago that someone had rebuilt a set at home on a small lathe. He cut the tip off and threaded it and made a new threaded tip and used red loctite to secure it in place. I think it was on one onlycubcadets.net but it might have been on the old IHcubcadet site that got whipped and revamped a few years ago.

Once you rebuild or replace 1 the other one will start leaking as well. One on my 1541 was leaking when I got it and I replaced it with a good used one. I took the other one out and cleaned it and it was good for about 2 weeks and then the tactor abruptly stopped moving forward. It wasn't leaking fluid so I think 1 of the springs had broken or collapsed. It lost all forward momentum because it was basically stuck in Bypass. I replaced it with another good used one and got it moving again but it's hard to tell how long they will last.

This is probibly the best option for relief valves even if they are not leaking yet. Send them both in and have them rebuilt with Modern "VITON" o-rings, stainless steel springs (that will not get weak and collapse or break from rust), the Teflon o-ring backer and 1- 7/16" Grade 25 ball bearing.

Thanks so much! Great info!

The axle tubes are aluminum and the center section seems to be aluminum also.

·
Registered
340 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
I got the fender pan pulled off and cleaned the hydro up somewhat. Mower repair buisness seems to be ending for the season by this point so it might be a while before I can get the check valves rebuilt. Definitely going to get them rebuilt though, hydraulic fluid is expensive too.
Automotive tire Wood Metalworking Gas Bumper
Automotive tire Gas Composite material Engineering Screw

Tire Wheel Automotive tire Motor vehicle Tread

. Good news is, these tires are still holding up.

·
Registered
340 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
I asked my uncle about his Cub Cadet and he says he already has plans for it. I'll have to look around for a engine somewhere else. If I can find an old Kohler Command (single or twin) I would take that also. However this project could get pretty drawn out...

1 - 8 of 8 Posts