Garden Tractor Forums banner
1 - 20 of 50 Posts

·
Premium Member
15,923 Posts
Trump said:
what options are there for repowering a 1655?
There are all kinds of options depending on how creative you want to get. If you want to keep everything the way it was you could repower with another Onan. The one engine warehouse store also sells a repower kit, I can't remember what brand the engine was, either Kohler or Honda.

You could also do a diesel conversion.

·
Tacos!
1,082 Posts
I would research what you can about engine dimensions then find the engine that fits your needs and wants. I started at small engine warehouse and found out the info on the engine then found one for $90 for my MF-7. I found the more you can find out about the whole situation the better off your going to be.

·
4,482 Posts
I like the Diesel idea.

·
Premium Member
15,923 Posts
ducky said:
I like the Diesel idea.
I am with ducky :D

I want to put a diesel in my 1655 sooner or later.

·
Premium Member
1,616 Posts
I suppose that if I'd have thougth about it in 2000 I may have gone the diesel route as well,rather then the Honda 20hp V twin. It's in there now and has been working flawlessly since being installed so no complaints.Larry

·
Red Tractor Nut & Diesel Addict
32,409 Posts
mikebramel said:
Diesel is over rated. Get a Kawasaki 27HP liquid cooled
Never seen a gas engine do what a diesel can do on the same $ fuel with comparable rated engines.

·
Ron Paul
1,009 Posts
I agree with that. But the initial cost of the diesel and the increased size will negate any savings. Not like there is room for a 3 cylinder if you want to keep the double belt set up and good luck with the pto clutch

·
Accumulator
13,481 Posts
I like diesel,if it were me,I would most likely go diesel.

·
Tractorholic
8,365 Posts
Never seen a gas engine do what a diesel can do on the same $ fuel with comparable rated engines.
Hindsight when I bought a replacement Onan for the 318 I never thought of a diesel and the coast of fuel in the life of mower. I only put on 25-30 hours a year but it seems to drink gas !!! Guess there is other things because of the lower running RPM that would have to be address that would have to be factored into a swap .

·
32,409 Posts
mikebramel said:
I agree with that. But the initial cost of the diesel and the increased size will negate any savings. Not like there is room for a 3 cylinder if you want to keep the double belt set up and good luck with the pto clutch
Yes, I agree with the cost difference, but I bought the Kubota D1005 (runs like new)on an asphalt sealing machine for $336 + $150 in costs to go get it. I just sold the rest of the machine for scrap yesterday for $422 for a total investment in the diesel of $64. So if you shop & get lucky, it's a whole different ballgame.

·
Tractorholic
8,365 Posts
for a total investment in the diesel of $64.
Hum , I think the sales tax on my new gas motor was more then that. :wallbanging:

·
32,409 Posts
Alc said:
Hum , I think the sales tax on my new gas motor was more then that. :wallbanging:
I'll likely NEVER land a deal like that again in my life!

·
Tractorholic
399 Posts
Just from my experience DON'T plan on smooth sailing with the Honda conversion kit from Small Engine Warehouse if ya go that route.........their "just bolt in conversion" is far from that!! Plan on lots of modifications!! I never thought of the diesel idea either but wish I'd gone that route now also but still happy with my choice!! I converted a Ingersoll RM60 60" cut mower deck and the Honda just plays with it!! My Honda 24hp beats the pants out of old Onan 16hp and uses a ton less fuel then that Onan too!! Good luck on whatever your decision and if you decide on the Honda from Small Engine Warehouse let me know if need any help since its still fresh in my mind!! LOL!! Luke

·
Super Moderator
14,167 Posts
olcowhand said:
I agree with Daniel. A real life example- I had a JDx475 GT with a 750cc 23hp Kawi Vtwin Liquid cooled. Nice engine but at least 4-5litres/hr of fuel (Over 1gal/hr) even when just doing chores around the yard. I traded it in for a JD2320 which has a 24HP Yanmar diesel and is a CUT weighing 3000lbs with the loader and ballast. Fuel consumption is anywhere from 2-3litres/hr when you keep the rpm's down and 4-5 when working it hard. I use about 1/2 the fuel now and can do more work in the same time with the larger tractor. The diesel has a couple of inherent advantages. There is 15% more energy in diesel fuel than gas and diesels do not suffer from throttle related vacuum pumping losses like gas engines which makes diesels much more efficient at low power levels. When I first considered the diesel I thought the smell (fuel and exhaust)would be a problem but I find I would rather have diesel around then gas any day. Your problem will be finding a suitable diesel for the conversion.

·
Tractorholic
399 Posts
My Honda engine I purchased from Small Engine Warehouse was a GX670 rated at 24 hp. I agree with all on the diesel engine route but everybody isn't taking into consideration the upkeep on a diesel engine vers a gas engine! The cost to repair a set of injectors and injection pump vastly outweigh rebuilding a carb and installing a set of plugs! Guarantee people are gonna get sticker shock when they have to start repairing some of these high hour diesel compact engines! They might last a long time but hold on to your wallet when they break.....and they will! Just my 2 cents! Luke

·
Ron Paul
1,009 Posts
Thats true. But the diesel that will fit in the engine bay will require some serious modifications and the PTO set up will have to be changed. Possibly to just a single belt that is run continously. The diesels that will fit arent more than 18hp. A 25-27hp gas engine will outpower it any day

1 - 20 of 50 Posts