Garden Tractor Forums banner
1 - 7 of 7 Posts

·
Registered
2 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
We are thinking about getting a riding lawn mower for under $2k. My yard isn’t huge, but the push mower is a lot of work, especially in the rainy season. I am looking for cutting power to keep the grass shorter, but with a wide deck to cause fewer “burn patches” from cutting too short.

·
Registered
605 Posts
Welcome to GT Talk. :)

Are you looking for new or used? Are looking for a lawn tractor that will only cut grass? Or a garden tractor, that will do more than cut grass. ( clear snow, till garden, etc.) ?

If you are looking for just a lawn mower and you wanna get things done fast, I would suggest looking at a zero turn mower. There are a few companies that make nice ones.

If you want a garden tractor then I personally would look into a used one that comes with some implements. Preferably 12hp or bigger. Try to find a brand that has readily available parts in your area.

·
Registered
605 Posts
Looking for new one and cut grass only
A quick search shows that Ariens, Toro, Cub Cadet and Husqvarna offer some zero turn mowers for under 2K. Cutting width ranging from 32" to 52"

Some examples.

·
Registered
2 Posts
In my experience a wider deck will cause more burned or scalped spots than a narrower one. A snapper with a 30 in deck and a bagger is kind of old school, but they still sell them for a reason. They are excellent mowers.

·
Registered
150 Posts
A snapper with a 30 in deck and a bagger is kind of old school, but they still sell them for a reason.
because people plant trees and plants too close together

I got grapevines that I plated 48" apart, wish I planted them 60" apart, as a 38 deck gets to over 48" with bagger/discharge chute, etc.

·
Registered
Ingersoll 224, 1989
118 Posts
A new item is only new until the first time you use it.

I bought a new Craftsman in 2001. It was okay (other than transaxle warranty replacement) for a few years then died at 400 hours.

I bought a used 44" Hustler Fastrak Z with 124 hours on it for mowing and it has been awesome for 10 years. It cut my mowing time in half vs the 48" Craftsman tractor...and cuts better too.

1 - 7 of 7 Posts