Garden Tractor Forums banner
1 - 12 of 12 Posts

·
Tractorholic
85 Posts
1970 MF10. It's probably a commom missing part but does anyone have a hood stop rod they can part with or a good picture so I can make one. Another probably common missing part I am without is the battery tie down complete setup, if none are available I could use a good picture of this setup as well.

·
Tractorholic
300 Posts
I will take a few snap shots of the hood rod for you once I get out to the shop. As for the battery tie down, can't help you there. I use a bungee cord cuz I'm in the same boat as you. LOL

·
129 Posts
The MF10 has two different types of battery tie down. The older models have the battery terminals at the front i.e. furthest from the fuel tank and so the tie down rods come up vertically from the back of the base (in mine they are welded to it), and the tie down has a stepped cross section that fits over the back of the battery. Later models have the battery terminals at the back , close to the fuel tank. This means that the tie down has to be at the top front of the battery and the rods run diagonally from the bottom at the back to the top at the front. The tie down is more or less a right angle in cross section and the rods have hooked ends. The wiring is also reversed - negative on the left on the older models and on the right on the later ones, so the same battery fits both. The AgCO parts books show them both well, but a photo would be better I am sure. My hood rod stop was worn out so I bent another - the steel is 3/16 ins diam.

George.

·
Tractorholic
85 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
My 1970 - must be the later design becouse the bottom holes are open at the bend in the box and not the bottom " straight down". If some one has the later version picture it would be great althought I think I can picture it in my mind and as per the parts manual I have. The picture you posted of the hood stop will not show up when enlarged for some resone an looks to be a double bar, or are my eyes getting even worse.

·
Elf guardian
7,712 Posts
greencoach47 said:
My 1970 - must be the later design becouse the bottom holes are open at the bend in the box and not the bottom " straight down". If some one has the later version picture it would be great althought I think I can picture it in my mind and as per the parts manual I have. The picture you posted of the hood stop will not show up when enlarged for some resone an looks to be a double bar, or are my eyes getting even worse.
No, it's a single bar.:D

Your eyes are ok, it's a double bar.

·
129 Posts
This is a not very good picture snipped from the service manual, but it gives a bit more to work with. The hood stops started off as single rods on the early models then became double rods and then back to single rods again. I suspect the double rod design rattles less!
Motor vehicle Combat vehicle Self-propelled artillery Vehicle Automotive design

Attachments

·
Tractorholic
85 Posts
Discussion Starter · #9 ·
MFGray said:
This is a not very good picture snipped from the service manual, but it gives a bit more to work with. The hood stops started off as single rods on the early models then became double rods and then back to single rods again. I suspect the double rod design rattles less!
View attachment 15897
Thank you, yes does look like it would be my battery setup and should not be hard to reproduce.

·
Registered
3,832 Posts
I definitely needed this because now since I'm restoring I can replace the chain someone put on there.

1 - 12 of 12 Posts