Garden Tractor Forums banner

1 - 10 of 10 Posts

·
Registered
330 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Finaly got around to replacing the deck rollers on my bolens 1486. The local bolens dealer wanted $20.00 a piece for the rollers. There are 10 rollers on the deck. I have a hard time shelling out $200.00 for injection molded ABS plastic parts that cost pennies to manufacture (thanks MTD for jacking up the price on all bolens parts). So I made my own out of wood. The cost was 8 hours of my own labor.

Attachments

·
Registered
330 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
I'm using tounge oil. We used to dip the ends of our wood fence post in oil to preserve them in the ground and it works well. I like the looks of the wood so I want to preserve the look.

·
Registered
9,183 Posts
As long as you used a hard wood like ash or maple your good to go for the long run. Keep then out of the moisture when not in use will help also. Nice looking job on the rollers. All those left over wood chips make good sweeping compound after soaking in water a few days. 100% recycling process. Way to go !! :thumbs:

Reactions: Tbrooks

·
Registered
330 Posts
Discussion Starter · #9 ·
As long as you used a hard wood like ash or maple your good to go for the long run. Keep then out of the moisture when not in use will help also. Nice looking job on the rollers. All those left over wood chips make good sweeping compound after soaking in water a few days. 100% recycling process. Way to go !! :thumbs:
I used maple and hickory, I had some ash and oak on hand but was afraid they may split in half when in use due to there straight open grain. Maple was used on alot of old reel mower and proven to be reliable. Hickory is use on ax and hammer handles and takes shock well. The chips will have many uses, the hickory were saved for the smoker. The maple will be used as mulch in the garden. The fine saw dust will be sweeping compound. Waist not want not.

1 - 10 of 10 Posts