Garden Tractor Forums banner
1 - 8 of 8 Posts

·
( ಠ ͜ʖಠ)
932 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I stripped and repainted my 782 front rims with some nice valspar indoor/ outdoor latex paint. Let them out to dry and maybe some dew or moisture, I don’t know. I got a bunch of super tiny brown spots all over the freshly painted rim. What is happening here? And what can I do to stop it? Thanks.
Wheel Tire Water Automotive tire Synthetic rubber

Tire Wheel Automotive tire Tread Motor vehicle

(One time came out fine, the other has the spots. The inside of both rims are also fine.)

• Sad
Reactions: FrankIII

·
( ಠ ͜ʖಠ)
932 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
Not sure if latex paint is even recommended for outside use let alone on metal. Certain types anyway. Maybe I'm wrong but I've wouldn't have used it.
Well. Got up early and stripped again. And used proper spray paint. Looks nice. I’ll be getting new tires very soon so I do not care about over spray
Wheel Tire Automotive tire Vehicle Tractor

Wheel Tire Automotive tire Tread Flying disc

·
( ಠ ͜ʖಠ)
932 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
I break the bead loose and tuck the cardboard in there.
You got a picture of the method? I'd love to see it for future projects!

Reactions: IHCubCadet147

·
( ಠ ͜ʖಠ)
932 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 · (Edited)
Also. I have some huge plans for this tractor. I’ll list them here.

Fix governor issue ✅

-Fix solenoid issue✅

-Apply proper paint job✅

-Purchase and install sleeve hitch✅

-Purchase brinly plow 🚫

-Purchase IH wheel weights🚫

-Install new rear tires✅

-Install entire turbocharger assembly🚫

-Install new front tires(vredestein v61)🚫

-Repair headlights✅

-Repair taillights 🚫

-Repair kill switch 🚫

-Install new gauges🚫

-Install new gas cap🚫

-Install proper seat✅

-Grease all points✅

-Fluid and filter overhaul🚫

-Basic Maintenance 🚫

-Repair tie rod✅

-Install proper pins for sleeve hitch🚫

-Pressure wash inner frame of tractor🚫

-Basic touch ups✅
Sky Hood Moon Rectangle Building

Tire Wheel Automotive tire Locking hubs Synthetic rubber

Tire Wheel Eye Automotive tire Synthetic rubber

Tire Wheel Land vehicle Vehicle Motor vehicle

Wheel Tire Vehicle Automotive tire Tractor

Not even close to done. But painting and things as such have been difficult recently. But, later this summer. I will be transforming this 782, to a 782T.

I am going to turbocharge my Briggs opposed twin 782. I have an entire plan setup. And a bunch of space to work with under the hood. Love it or hate it, I am going to make it as clean and stock looking as possible.

The turbo setup will need a new exhaust system. I will have a conjoined exhaust pipe. So the 2 sides are connected. Then I will drill a hole through the top of the conjoined pipe. Weld a bracket on top of that hole, bolt the turbo’s hot side on. Then, simply make some PVC pipe go from the intake side, to the air filter box. I will have to tune the carb, but it is not meant to be an actual boost in power. Just function enough to move air into the air box. I will be making an oil setup as well. More to that later.

(Hard to draw on a cellphone)
Motor vehicle Vehicle Automotive design Bumper Automotive exterior

World Font Engineering Urban design Space

The design/ blueprints are still a big work in progress. A lot of welding and manufacturing will be involved in this, but it’s a distant dream that I’ll make come true.

Let me know your thoughts! Good, or bad. All welcome. Thanks

(Goal is to get a “turbo” decal like on the IH 1466)
Wheel Tire Vehicle Tractor Automotive tire

·
( ಠ ͜ʖಠ)
932 Posts
Discussion Starter · #10 ·
Reactions: IHCubCadet147

·
( ಠ ͜ʖಠ)
932 Posts
Discussion Starter · #13 ·
Did you prime the paint?
Nope :LOL:. Usually I get away with it but not this case. I primed my new paint, then brush painted over to have a good solid off white. Looks pretty good
Tire Wheel Vehicle Automotive tire Motor vehicle

·
( ಠ ͜ʖಠ)
932 Posts
Discussion Starter · #14 ·
Turbocharging is a strange idea for that tractor. Not saying it's a bad idea, but I wouldn't do it. But if you want to, here is an exhaust system I did for a opposed twin:
God I love opposed twins. That one in particular sounds amazing!

·
( ಠ ͜ʖಠ)
932 Posts
Discussion Starter · #17 ·
Seems you corrected your problem, but latex paint is not for metal. The rust will always bleed through. Oil based, or solvent based is what is needed, and it should be primed with a primer that has etching properties. I’m always happy to help, but didn’t see this post till now.
I primed, and painted with oil based spray paint. Then over the spray paint, I used the latex paint, to have an accurate paint match. Having no issues with that setup

1 - 8 of 8 Posts