Garden Tractor Forums banner
1 - 20 of 25 Posts

·
Registered
1,837 Posts
I just got this unusual bird, and thought id share some insight on what makes it tick.

After about 3 hours of Google searching, the engine appears to be a Hillman Minx thats coupled to a 3 speed box. The rear appears to resemble a Dana 44 with a reduction box on the snout.

Some of the operator controls are for, a light under hood, cig lighter, horn, choke, hood release (like a car), foot starter switch, throttle, and of course the 3 on the tree.The tractor has, gauges for fuel, charge, and temp. The 4 pedals are interesting, 1 controls the clutch, 1 does hydro rear brakes, and the outside 2 are the mechanical brakes to control traction. It even has a rear mounted tool box.

She been sitting a long, long time, so she going to need lots of oil put in her joints as some dont move. Obviously it needs fluids, and at least 2 tires. The wiring is a mess, and the wires for the genny, and regulator are completely gone.

Im confident this thing will run again with lots of TLC, just dont know if I can get to it this year? Anywho, lets get on with the pics......Cheers

Attachments

·
Registered
1,837 Posts

·
Registered
1,837 Posts

Attachments

·
Registered
1,837 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
It kinda seems like it is styled after a Bush Hog. I haven't seen nor heard of a Hillman Minx in over 40 years. It may be difficult to find engine parts for it. WWW.ROCKAUTO.COM seems to have access to alot of odd parts. Good Luck, Rick
Yes, I believe you are correct, but its to be expected with a somewhat uncommon engine in the states.

·
Registered
1,837 Posts
That's different. Yeah a pic of the whole tractor would be nice! Good luck!
Here is a side by side with a Husky 1250 for side comparison.

Fyi, its every bit just as heavy if not heavier than the 1250 its next too as well. This thing is a tank

Attachments

·
Registered
773 Posts
That engine looks very simular to my old Asplund wood chipper.. It's a 4 cyl. ford with a clutch to engage the chippers.. If you find a stamping on the block,, it may give you an idea.. Mine is on the right side ( the dist. side ) If you need an engine,, ( 4 cyl. with a weak valve )... Its free for the takeing.. But you must take the whole chipper/shreder... This is one of the old ones they called the WIDOW-MAKER..

sodi in south east Wis.

·
Registered
1,837 Posts
Discussion Starter · #12 ·
That engine looks very simular to my old Asplund wood chipper.. It's a 4 cyl. ford with a clutch to engage the chippers.. If you find a stamping on the block,, it may give you an idea.. Mine is on the right side ( the dist. side ) If you need an engine,, ( 4 cyl. with a weak valve )... Its free for the takeing.. But you must take the whole chipper/shreder... This is one of the old ones they called the WIDOW-MAKER..

sodi in south east Wis.
Pm sent

·
Registered
1,837 Posts
Discussion Starter · #13 ·

·
Registered
845 Posts
I wonder if this was made as a custom pulling tractor ? With those brakes and the power plant .

It looks pretty cool overall though!

·
Registered
1,837 Posts
I wonder if this was made as a custom pulling tractor ? With those brakes and the power plant .
It looks pretty cool overall though!
Hard to say its heavy.

Reactions: holdenboy1960

·
Registered
1,837 Posts
Discussion Starter · #17 ·

·
Registered
985 Posts
remembering that there were a huge amount of machines home made after the world wars from model T and buick and other sorts into tractors of all sizes and descriptions & cheap bought kit sorts too

search net, midget tractor , mini tractor and such PDF files on how to make , i think in downloads or files whatever in GGT there are some files on making odd sorts of tractors

·
Registered
1,837 Posts
Bloody Awesome Machine just my type of unit , plenty to tinker with & it's to be strong as...............well
Thank you. Believe me, when i get to trying to get it running i will post a video.

1 - 20 of 25 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.