Garden Tractor Forums banner

1 - 8 of 8 Posts

·
912 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Spent yesterday morning getting ready for the white stuff. Off with the mower deck.On with the chains. (A major PITA) And finally the plow blade. I used this once last winter for the one storm we got.Actually we had our biggest storm last October, but I wasn't prepared. I also prepped my snowblower for a backup. DSCN0771.jpg DSCN0772.jpg DSCN0773.jpg

Attachments

Reactions: MailmAn

·
Tractorholic
8,348 Posts
Nice to get things ready before the snow starts
I'll be doing mine soon ( I hope lol ) Al

Reactions: pharmer

·
Anything Red . . .
11,958 Posts
.On with the chains. (A major PITA)
I jack my tractor tire off the ground and rotate the chain and tire around. The biggest pain is hooking the clasp on the chain.

Does anyone have a foolproof, easy way to put chains on???

·
912 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
I do the same.See the jack in the photo? I even deflate the tires a little. It's still diificult to clasp.

·
757 Posts
I jack my tractor tire off the ground and rotate the chain and tire around. The biggest pain is hooking the clasp on the chain.

deflate the tire hood the back hook and hook the out side one on with channel lock pliers then re inflate

·
Tractor Whisperer
1,473 Posts

On Amazon.com they sell tire fastners/tightners. Theyr black and red. Made of all high strength rubber. I just flop the chains over, hook em easily as I can and pop the fastners on which go on very easily and work great. I have plowed thru it all and have never had a problem. Have gotten them for friends and family and have refered others and not one has had an issue. Best part.....they cost like $7

·
Accumulator
13,481 Posts

That is the same way I do it too.

·
Registered
10,069 Posts
I just lay the chains neatly behind the tires and drive on to them so that the latching is in the area with easiest access. Latch them evenly and as tight as I can and then let the elastics tighten them the rest of the way. This way works on cars , trucks, and tractors (for 45 years) and is safest if you're along the side of a back road. The tire deflation/inflation works but it risks that the compressor must keep working.

1 - 8 of 8 Posts