Garden Tractor Forums banner

1 - 9 of 9 Posts

·
DR. Bolens
Joined
·
19,063 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Finally was dry enough to roll the lawn.
Had to borrow the neighbors roller as mine needs repair.
Would have preferred to use the bigger roller but it did the job.

2 Things I learned today.
1: I have to make a brake drum assembly for this tractor (clutch takes about 10 seconds to stop spinning)
2: I need a carb rebuild kit
 

Attachments

·
Tractorholic
Joined
·
628 Posts
looking good...i have the same problem with my 800...the 900 doesnt do it though...and i noticed it has a brake drum or something on the driveshaft
 

·
Premium Member
Joined
·
1,227 Posts
All along I though someone had cut my 800's hood just to the left of the muffler cutout. Friday I went and looked at another 800 and noticed the same thing, and now yours Brian. Now Im assuming they are all this way, but why?
 

·
DR. Bolens
Joined
·
19,063 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
Nascar3244888 said:
looking good...i have the same problem with my 800...the 900 doesnt do it though...and i noticed it has a brake drum or something on the driveshaft
Yes, some early models came out of the factory without the brake drum on the driveshaft. After talking to Bruce about this he said that this was a problem area, and then later on they began adding brake drums to stop the shaft from spinning. I got the holes drilled already and now I got to switch the assembly's over from my Bolens 900 which is now a parts donor :D
 

·
DR. Bolens
Joined
·
19,063 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
bread320i said:
All along I though someone had cut my 800's hood just to the left of the muffler cutout. Friday I went and looked at another 800 and noticed the same thing, and now yours Brian. Now Im assuming they are all this way, but why?
I have seen many hoods cut out this way as well, but I dont think the tractors originally came out that way.
These 800's originally had the small mufflers on them that just barely stuck out of the half circle cut in the hood and my guess is that when people were replacing the mufflers with the larger ones the hood wouldnt close so they cut a slot in them.
 

·
Old, but not dead -- yet!
Joined
·
3,239 Posts
Bolens 1000 said:
Yes, some early models came out of the factory without the brake drum on the driveshaft. After talking to Bruce about this he said that this was a problem area, and then later on they began adding brake drums to stop the shaft from spinning. I got the holes drilled already and now I got to switch the assembly's over from my Bolens 900 which is now a parts donor :D
I haven't been able to locate any of the parts bulletins or service bulletins which covered the early clutch problem. .......However, I just found something interesting on a 1966 price sheet.

There was a # 18206 Input Brake Kit (for 187-188-189 tractors) which listed for $2.50 and weighed 3 lbs.

This brake kit was listed with the accessories, and as far as I can tell, did not carry a part #.

I believe this may be the kit to add to the early tractors to stop the input shaft from spinning when the clutch is depressed.

Brian: Check your parts manual to see if you have a page for the #18206. (I don't.)
 

·
DR. Bolens
Joined
·
19,063 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
Bruce Dorsi said:
I haven't been able to locate any of the parts bulletins or service bulletins which covered the early clutch problem. .......However, I just found something interesting on a 1966 price sheet.

There was a # 18206 Input Brake Kit (for 187-188-189 tractors) which listed for $2.50 and weighed 3 lbs.

This brake kit was listed with the accessories, and as far as I can tell, did not carry a part #.

I believe this may be the kit to add to the early tractors to stop the input shaft from spinning when the clutch is depressed.

Brian: Check your parts manual to see if you have a page for the #18206. (I don't.)
I kind of figured there may have been kits that you could add on. That would make sense because from what I have seen some of the early 800 models had them and some didnt.
I will check the parts manuals I have and see what I come up with
 

·
Deceased
Joined
·
1,441 Posts
i cant find anything with this part number in my parts and service manual
 
1 - 9 of 9 Posts
Top