Garden Tractor Forums banner
1 - 20 of 30 Posts

·
Registered
9,283 Posts
I guess most of us are starting to get the seed catalog's in the mail. Got one from Jung Seeds and tossed it right off. A new one we received is a seeds only catalog and they have the small packets of 3 - 5 seeds or some up to 30 for $1.99. Called Seeds nSuch out of Graniteville, NC. Anyone had any dealing with them? We usually get Burpee or Burgess seeds. Our plants we get from an Amish green house as they have great prices and large selection.

·
Anything Red . . .
12,068 Posts
A new one we received is a seeds only catalog and they have the small packets of 3 - 5 seeds or some up to 30 for $1.99. Called Seeds nSuch out of Graniteville, NC.

I still get a catalog from Johnny's Select Seeds, even though I haven't bought from them for years. By the time I buy one or two packets and add on the postage (which is more than the cost), it isn't worth it.

·
Super Moderator
54,838 Posts
Got a catalog that lists Money Tree's? I'd be interested in that one!

·
Registered
9,283 Posts
Got a catalog that lists Money Tree's? I'd be interested in that one!
Nope, just garden seeds.

Have seeds left over here too but some times it don't pay to hold them over. Other times they grow better than the new seeds.

·
Registered
60' Wheel Horse,66' Wheel Horse, 70' Wheel Horse, 71' Wheel Horse, 71' Wizard
408 Posts
I've gotten a catalog from them before a good while back , never ordered anything from them, catalog was ok (same old same old) . I usually get from "Starks","Miller's" or "Gurney's". I used to get from Henry Fields but I think Gurney's bought them out (I think their all the same) A good one I found is "Baker Creek Heirloom Seeds" , they have a really nice catalog (It's Free) and good selection of Seeds. I love this time of year when it's cold out and you get one of these catalogs in the mail and you can relax in the warm and plan out next years garden. (Makes you want to rip off those snow removal attachments and put back on the garden attachments)

·
Registered
579 Posts
We got a Johnny's seed catalog just before Christmas. I'm waiting for others to show up. Nothing like sitting next to the wood stove in cold weather and drooling over all the summer photos in the catalogs!

We want to try some new plants this year. Two which come to mind are collard greens and Cilantro.

One of the seed companies we often buy from is "Territorial Seed" in Oregon. They have some varieties that work better in the cooler parts of the PNW. However, I do think that usually the seed companies buy seed from the same place and just package it.

As a rule, we are trying to move away from hybrids and save our own seed.

Regards,

Doug

·
Registered
3,162 Posts
I think most of the seed dealers buy seed from bulk dealers and repackage for retail.

Some seed like corn can be kept over for a while. Others like squash, i'm told can't be kept over very long. You can test your seed by soaking in a wet paper towel to see if it germinates.
I planted 6 year old tomato seed last year 2 seeds to each tiny starter peat pot and got 2 plants in every pot. Don

·
Anything Red . . .
12,068 Posts
. . . . . As a rule, we are trying to move away from hybrids and save our own seed.

If you are interested in open pollinated varieties, check with The Seed Saver's Exchange in Decorah, Iowa. They are a group dedicated to saving heritage plant varieties.

·
Registered
7,006 Posts
My first catalogue came in late Dec., the same day as the first Christmas card. No doubt which was read first, lol. It was Veseys, of course, my favourite seed company.

·
Registered
7,006 Posts
I get "farmer's fever" around this time each year. Simply itching to get something growing even although I know there's no point in starting seeds here until at least the end of March. Dreaming my way through seed catalogues and planning the garden helps. Now is when I sort through the garden box, read over my notes I made last year on the planting dates, weather, varieties, what I planted next to each other, etc. and how things yielded. Just busy work, I know, but it helps calm the fever.

·
Super Moderator
54,838 Posts
I get "farmer's fever" around this time each year. Simply itching to get something growing even although I know there's no point in starting seeds here until at least the end of March. Dreaming my way through seed catalogues and planning the garden helps. Now is when I sort through the garden box, read over my notes I made last year on the planting dates, weather, varieties, what I planted next to each other, etc. and how things yielded. Just busy work, I know, but it helps calm the fever.
This time of year it's nice to have something to keep the mind occupied! I daydream of 90F+ days!

1 - 20 of 30 Posts