Garden Tractor Forums banner
1 - 20 of 29 Posts

·
Premium Member
15,923 Posts
That is going to be a 50/50 answer and posting it in the Massey forum will be 100/0 odds everyone will say no LOL.

·
Tractorholic
2,075 Posts
My son (NUTNDUN) started with a Massey and I still find them a very good tractor. The attachments are a little easier I think on my Bolens but I like the fact that the Massey colors were mostly unchanged thru the years and help me identify tractors at shows. That being said, I think you will get a better response about changing colors if you post this in the John Deere forum. Just my thoughts. Whatever you do I hope that you continue to enjoy your tractors.

·
Premium Member
1,616 Posts
If you feel that this is something you want to do and feel that its right for you then thats up to you. Being Red or green or orange doesn't really matter as long as your happy with your choice For me Massey has always been the brand I like and for me thats what works. Massey seems to be in my blood heck come to think of it there the same color as my blood. LOL Larry

Reactions: josh deaven

·
Live long and prosper
6,791 Posts
I have to agree with Larry. As you can see from my signature, I have one of each. I don't have two of anything yet. If you want a different brand, that's your preference. As Daniel said, you need to name your JD possibility so we can look at the merits of each. I like my Massey and my JD. If you can afford it, get the JD too.

·
Premium Member
2,972 Posts
If you feel that this is something you want to do and feel that its right for you then thats up to you. Being Red or green or orange doesn't really matter as long as your happy with your choice
One thing the JD has going for them is you can just about always find parts for them. I'm am presently restoring a '78 316 for use, and it has been a fairly simple restore. I started changing out the deck bearings today. yea, they're a bit of a pain to do, but I bought the new bearings at the JD dealer. They had them in stock. This is a 34 year old tractor, and it is still running fine and strong and should have many more years of service in it.

·
Tractorholic
1,711 Posts
Its up to you. Nobody here is going to put you down for changing your choice of tractors. Each brand has its pros and cons. As long as you enjoy the tractors have as many different colors as you chose.

·
Accumulator
13,481 Posts
That's is a hard question for anyone else to answer.It's all a matter of what you want to do.

·
Super Moderator
14,167 Posts
Difficult question. I have green and red tractors. All the brands have pros and cons. You need to decide what is important for you. Parts availability and cost is a big factor if you are planning a restoration. It can really add up in a hurry. The other factor is how much knowledge you have about the 2 brands of tractors. It's easier to stay with something you know and will be a harder battle if you have no experience with JD. However, this also represents a challenge and a learning experience.
When trading tractors you also have to consider the devil you know vs the one you don't. Sometimes it's not easy to tell how much trouble lurks just under the surface of an older tractor regardless of make. If you could let us know the model of JD then there is a good chance we can tell you where the weak spots are. IMO a 1655 is a very nice tractor to trade away for anything!

·
Elf guardian
7,712 Posts
As Olcowhand said, that's a tough one to answer, not knowing what you're looking at getting into.
Any particular issues your having with the MF, or reasons why you're thinking of changing?

·
Registered
2,612 Posts
Trump,
I was only kidding about my comment above. You do what you feel is right, and what you think you'll be happy with collecting. I, as a John Deere collector, will say, that John Deere's are expensive. I know that most tractors right now are going for a reasonable amount of money, due to the demand of everybody collecting them right now, but for some reason, John Deere's seem to sell for more money.

Josh Deaven and I were talking one day, and we both agreed, that for someone just getting into collecting John Deere garden tractors in todays world, is really tough. You just can't find the complete tractors anymore, for less than $200.00, like you could back in, let's say the early '90's. You can barely touch a parts tractor now days for less than that. I was fortunate, as I started my collection in 1989, way before the garden tractors were thought about being collected. Back then you could get an almost complete parts tractor for around $75.00. Today? You're lucky to buy a set of wheels for that price.

What am I recommending? I guess I'm saying, John Deere's are expensive, and although parts can still be found, they won't be cheap. I don't know what the percentage of Massey collectors are out there, but I do know that the percentage of John Deere collectors, is very high, compared to most brands, so be prepared to have to pay a little more for what you want. Changing brands right now, is what I'd consider starting all over again, and take my word for it, you'll have a tough road ahead of you.

No matter what you choose to do, just know we will support you in your decision. Me personally, I think I would just keep what you have, and be happy with it. Maybe times will come, that you can through a little green into the mix, but I don't think I'd get rid of one brand completely, and start all over again with another.

Just my two cents worth, but I hope it helps in your decision.

·
Connoisseur of Rusty Junk
5,623 Posts
There's a lot of good information in this thread! I'd have to say that I can't see any reason to get rid of all of one brand to make room for another. I currently have 3 different brands. It's a choice that you'll have to live with, so choose carefully. Another idea you might consider is that you could pick up a JD and see how you feel about it before getting rid of your Massey.

·
Red Tractor Nut & Diesel Addict
32,409 Posts
Trump, are ya gonna tell us what you're thinking of in green? Personally, the 1655 is a heck of a machine, and hard to beat in any make. Knowing the mechanical condition of your 1655 is also a big point when considering this.

1 - 20 of 29 Posts