Garden Tractor Forums banner
1 - 14 of 14 Posts

·
Super Moderator
54,603 Posts
You wouldn't want to shut it down too often. Get it running and get the job done! Cool old crawler!

·
Bush Hog Addict
3,431 Posts
I was thinking how bad it would be to have to try to start it up at about 6:00 am with a blowing wind and temps in the 30's or lower.......and just think,......this was probably the latest and greatest labor saving machine at that time.....they were thinking......I don't have to hook up the plow horses or mules anymore............so ......hook up 4 horses or spend time cranking one engine......
Yep thank goodness for electric starters, heated cabs, etc Thanks for sharing! Neat video!

·
Tractorholic
3,907 Posts
That is interesting, I had never seen the shotgun shells used that way. I've heard a lot of stories about people(people I knew) blowing heads off cars and cranks out the bottomend using the Caterpiller ether capsules in gas engines.

·
Tractor Whisperer
1,473 Posts
very cool thanks for shareing

·
Tractorholic
1,641 Posts
I'm still wondering about that thing he lit and stuck in it.
That "thing" is a piece of heavy paper that has been soaked in saltpeter. They roll it up and then light it to get an ember on it. The shotgun shells they use to do that are not as potent as a regular shotgun cartridge is. They have less powder and are setup to have a slower burn than a regular shell. Also they don't have bb's in them which I assume is obvious. They can be started on a regular handcrank as well and from what I hear that is the way to do it as the shells are hard on the bearings and the crankshaft.

There are a couple other videos on youtube I think are better than that one.

[media]http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=VEurohAwrmA

1 - 14 of 14 Posts