Garden Tractor Forums banner
1 - 20 of 25 Posts

·
Registered
78 Posts
Hi Forum,

I am new here and just got a Simplicity Model D (S/N 30760) and had some questions;

- Can anyone confirm the year of manufacture?

- What is the model of the engine? I am having a hard time determining HP as I've found various ranges from 1.5, 1.9 and 2.0 HP

- Is the manual available anywhere? The one I found on pinned on this forum is for and L (very similar I guess)

- Is there a good source for engine parts (i.e., head gasket, muffler, carb kit)?

I am new at this but have always wanted a walk behind and ran across this one.

Any help is much appreciated and Merry Christmas, Chris

Attachments

·
DB restorer
2,850 Posts
heres my model D, a 1948 tractor roughly. Simp used the N briggs, but the same tractor in a Wards would have had a Clinton on it. You looks to have a 700 series Clinton engine, so maybe some cross breeding has happened here. My tractor is pretty original, but the fuel tank is wrong, because at the time that's all I had to put on it.

Tire Wheel Plant Vehicle Automotive tire
Wheel Tire Motor vehicle Grass Automotive tire

Attachments

·
Registered
78 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
Thanks for the responses and picture. Yes my engine is a Clinton 700-A 2 Hp with a Tillotson ML carburetor I see now.

I'd love to find a planter setup like Lauber1 has. Gorgeous. Sickle bar is cool Craftsman!

Did Simplicity manufacture them for Montgomery Ward as well? I'm curious if mine is a replacement or might have come with the machine...

·
DB restorer
2,850 Posts
  • you could have bought a replacement engine thru the Monkey Wards catalog, and it could have been anything they offered. I would guess tha t lots guys put Clintons on, simply because they cost less, than a briggs did. unless your trying to restore to original, and this engine runs I'd just leave it on there.

·
Registered
10,192 Posts
I am going to stick with the Clinton, I kinda like the difference for sure. I need to get a rebuild kit for the Tillotson ML carb and have sent inquiries to places listed at www.clintonengines.us. Thanks for the feedback!
Welcome to GTT. http://oldpathsequipment.com/ is a sponsor here and is very knowledgeable about Clintons. I have the remains of one of those little walkbehinds, somewhere. Good Luck, Rick

·
DB restorer
2,850 Posts
Jeff, Do you have the seed hopper for that one?
yep I finally put it on the anvil and tapped most of the dents out of it and got the bottom and top halves of it crimped back together. still don't have a lid, but ithink something off a cookie tin will work if I can find the right sized one.

Tire Wheel Plant Vehicle Automotive tire

Attachments

·
Registered
78 Posts
Discussion Starter · #16 ·
Love the cast handles as well, I want to find a PTO setup if anyone has any leads.

Took the D apart today and started to clean up everything in the parts cleaner. What an elegant ""simply" build machine; anyone know who the designer(s) were?

So I pulled off the hubs and redid the dogs as some springs had jumped or were broke. So easy to take apart and play with, (not too dangerous of a project for me perhaps). But when I put the hubs, wheels back together and attached the rims to the outside of the hub I couldn't figure out why the ratchet was not working... I put the wheels on and could not figure out why the flywheel was in the way on the left side. Anyway finally realized the rims mount on the inside and that the rim fits on to the hub reverse/backwards (air stem inside). Is this how is goes I guess?

Fun stuff, glad to be aboard here!

·
Registered
78 Posts
Discussion Starter · #18 ·
Did some more work poaching parts off the L and putting things onto the D. Cleaned out the grease I put in the dogs, replaced one hub, got the gasket from the crank case from the L and took the main seal too. Also got the attachment pin from the L. Waiting on head gasket and carb rebuild kit to get here.

·
Registered
78 Posts
Discussion Starter · #19 ·
heres my model D, a 1948 tractor roughly. Simp used the N briggs, but the same tractor in a Wards would have had a Clinton on it. You looks to have a 700 series Clinton engine, so maybe some cross breeding has happened here. My tractor is pretty original, but the fuel tank is wrong, because at the time that's all I had to put on it.

attachicon.gif
simp D done 006.JPG
attachicon.gif
simp D done 007.JPG
Hi Lauber,

What color do you use to paint your Simplicty?

thanks!

1 - 20 of 25 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.