Garden Tractor Forums banner
1 - 18 of 18 Posts

·
Registered
23 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I am new to older garden tractors. I just got a Simplicity Sunstar 20 with possibly a blown motor for $200. That is going to be on order soon. This mower does not have a rear PTO. My question is how hard is it to add a PTO? Thank you in advance.

·
Super Moderator
54,164 Posts
:wave: Welcome to the forum! I'll let the folks in the know answer your questions.

·
Registered
786 Posts
In general GT pto's are hard to find cause they are specific to the make/model and not many were ordered back in the day.

I'd try to get it running and make sure the big stuff works before dropping much coin. Unless you trust whoever you got it from or saw it run recently...

·
Registered
23 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
It ran through most of last year before the motor went. I used it a few times myself. Everything worked great.

·
Registered
23 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
Ok. I looked at it closer and there is a little shaft fairly far inside the assume is the transmission with splines on it. I can imagine that the drive line to run attachments would be that long. I know it didn't come with a rear PTO because it only has a switch for the front. So my question is do I only need what was connected to that shaft and to wire a switch and clutch? Or could I hook up to that shaft and just run the PTO live?

·
Nut Case
1,940 Posts
The ones I've seen had a clutch out back. That gives you a failing point if you hit something. Seems there was a tiller for the simplicity that ran off the rear clutch. It was different from other rear pto driven things. There was no gearbox to change speeds on the simplicity. That shaft spins 3600 which is pretty fast for most rear implements. Garden tractor size were run at 2000rpms. That sunstar has the same rearend as the john deere 318/420/430. You could hunt one if those rear pto setups and install it. Then you wouldn't be limited on the simplicity specific attachments. I've only seen one of the tillers meant for that machine. There's a much bigger selection if your using a 2000rpm pto.

Welcome from a fellow Hoosier. We had dinner at Big Woods in Nashville last weekend. Go down there quite often.

Eric

Sent from my SM-G930P using Tapatalk

·
Red Tractor Nut & Diesel Addict
32,409 Posts
Yes, 2 grand rpm. But be warned, the rear pto are expensive. You have to have the shaft/clutch assembly, plus a reversing gearbox, similar or possibly the same as on the John Deere 430's. They go for $750 on up used.

·
Registered
5,934 Posts
. We had dinner at Big Woods in Nashville last weekend. Go down there quite often.

Eric

Just ate at big woods tonight.
We ate there on Friday evening, that place sure is jumping in the evenings. Good pizza, should've just gotten the 10", we took half the pizza home.

Hopefully you can find the parts you need.

·
Nut Case
1,940 Posts
Would it be cheaper to piece together a simplicity pto a few parts ay a time?
The simplicity pto is few and far between. I only mentioned the Deere because it seems to be the more common one. I have a friend not on the forum with an Agco 1920 (same machine) with a rear pto. Next time I get over there, I'll look at it and shoot some pics. I don't think it was 2000rpm. I think it was a direct drive which means your limited to simplicity specific attachments for it.

Eric

·
Nut Case
1,940 Posts
Need to get a good pic of the rear pto. I've seen multiple list these having one. They were considering the hydro shaft sticking out the pump as the rear pto.

Reactions: TAHOE

·
Simplicity Enthusiast
2,379 Posts
Need to get a good pic of the rear pto. I've seen multiple list these having one. They were considering the hydro shaft sticking out the pump as the rear pto.

You hit the nail on the head. Most folks call that the rear PTO, but few Sunstars are actually equipped with one.

The Sunstar offered two rear PTO's. The first and more common, is the engine speed pto. It was used to power the rear mount vac system and Simplicity tiller. Those use the Simplicity proprietary rear lift and drawbar, just like other Simplicity garden tractors.

The second was a 2000RPM PTO, and it is used in unison to the Cat0 3pt hitch to power any 2000rpm Cat0 implements you want. They are quite a bit harder to find. Locating a 3pt equipped tractor is usually the ticket, because rarely is a tractor spotted with the PTO when no 3pt hitch is present.

From what I've seen, maybe 1 out of 3 Sunstars with 3pt even have the PTO (and the 3pt hitches are scarce in their own rite).

So...if you want a PTO, it would be wise to first determine what you want to power. It will be easier to find a Simplicity style rear lift, 38" tiller and engine speed PTO. But, if you can find a 3pt and 2000 PTO, you have a lot more implement options.

·
Registered
1 Posts
You hit the nail on the head. Most folks call that the rear PTO, but few Sunstars are actually equipped with one.

The Sunstar offered two rear PTO's. The first and more common, is the engine speed pto. It was used to power the rear mount vac system and Simplicity tiller. Those use the Simplicity proprietary rear lift and drawbar, just like other Simplicity garden tractors.

The second was a 2000RPM PTO, and it is used in unison to the Cat0 3pt hitch to power any 2000rpm Cat0 implements you want. They are quite a bit harder to find. Locating a 3pt equipped tractor is usually the ticket, because rarely is a tractor spotted with the PTO when no 3pt hitch is present.

From what I've seen, maybe 1 out of 3 Sunstars with 3pt even have the PTO (and the 3pt hitches are scarce in their own rite).

So...if you want a PTO, it would be wise to first determine what you want to power. It will be easier to find a Simplicity style rear lift, 38" tiller and engine speed PTO. But, if you can find a 3pt and 2000 PTO, you have a lot more implement options.

I'm picking up a sun.star 20 tomorrow 1995 for 800 bucks. It has the 60 in deck and the three point hitch with rear PTO. Supposedly. Does that mean I found like the Holy Grail of Simplicity Sun Stars? Right now all I want to be able to do is run a tiller off the back and a snowblower on the front. And you're saying I should be able to find non Simplicity specific implements? From what I've been reading it seems like quite the capable tractor for the money at least compared to the junk they are selling today that can only cut grass. And I'd also like to find a small brush hog for the front if possible but if not I'll settle for the rear. Is that even possible?

·
Simplicity Enthusiast
2,379 Posts
The 3 point and rear PTO are hard to find and quite desireable. If the machine also has the dual spool hydraulics, then it is fully optioned and 'holy grail' would apply, for those folks who enjoy the Sunstars.

If the PTO is indeed a 2000rpm unit, then yeah, any Cat0 2000rpm tiller will work. These are most commonly found from Deere, Simplicity, Wheel Horse, BEFCO, and others, typically as 70's and 80's era units. In my neck of the woods I see Deere most commonly, like this one HERE. A tiller will likely cost about as much, or more, than your tractor unfortunately.

1 - 18 of 18 Posts