Garden Tractor Forums banner
1 - 20 of 24 Posts

·
Registered
15 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 · (Edited)
Hi all, this is my first post.
I'm an avid Gardner and as well as a mechanical design engineer.
I've been toying with buying a Brinley Moldboard Plow but I could never pull the trigger on it.
I have a Husqvarna that I upgraded to a K66 transaxle with locking differential and 23" ag tires.
I have no problem pulling implements through my garden whether it be a Hiller with danish tines or a general cultivator.
I needed something to cut and turn over my old crops, so I looked at moldboard plows and wondered if I could just design and build my own. Long story short, I found the 2 & 3 disc plows built in India and South Africa. Because the plows are always spinning, less pulling force should be required to do the same job. So I did my research and then scaled the plow down to a 14" Hiller wheel and created this.
I plan on building it over the next two months. If anyone would be interested in building one for themselves (not for resale), I plan on selling the plans for individuals to build. (I also have other plans for hillers and a 1-7/8" Ball to Sleeve Hitch Trailer.)
Please let me know your thoughts.
(Note: the design is still missing the counter wheel on the rear)
Font Line Motor vehicle Parallel Auto part

·
Registered
22 Posts
Hi all, this is my first post.
I'm an avid Gardner and as well as a mechanical design engineer.
I've been toying with buying a Brinley Moldboard Plow but I could never pull the trigger on it.
I have a Husqvarna that I upgraded to a K66 transaxle with locking differential and 23" ag tires.
I have no problem pulling implements through my garden whether it be a Hiller with danish tines or a general cultivator.
I needed something to cut and turn over my old crops, so I looked at moldboard plows and wondered if I could just design and build my own. Long story short, I found the 2 & 3 disc plows built in India and South Africa. Because the plows are always spinning, less pulling force should be required to do the same job. So I did my research and then scaled the plow down to a 14" Hiller wheel and created this.
I plan on building it over the next two months. If anyone would be interested in building one for themselves (not for resale), I plan on selling the plans for individuals to build. (I also have other plans for hillers and a 1-7/8" Ball to Sleeve Hitch Trailer.)
Please let me know your thoughts.
(Note: the design is still missing the counter wheel on the rear)
View attachment 415126
I would definitely be interested. Any plans on a 3-point hitch design? I would love to find a 10 or 12 inch Brinly plow, but the ones I can find are outrageously expensive.

·
Registered
15 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
I would definitely be interested. Any plans on a 3-point hitch design? I would love to find a 10 or 12 inch Brinly plow, but the ones I can find are outrageously expensive.
I could easily modify it to include a 3-point hitch design!
I'll find the standard to follow and modify it and upload the draft here.

·
Registered
22 Posts
Would you be interested in a Cat. 0 or a Cat. 1, 3-point hitch?
I would want the Cat 0 hitch. But I could someone with a SCUT and category 1 being interested in that option. Really, after seeing your plan, the only limit would be how far you could extend the frame and add hillers. Within reason of course. Garden tractors can only pick up so much without bouncing the front end. But I believe it is a very good idea that you have.

·
Tractorholic
8,470 Posts
That’s the type I was thinking of . That might give you enough traction since it’s mid mounted . Any special reason a regular plow wouldn’t work for your application? Sleeve Hitch Moldboard Plow | PP-510 I believe that style, set correctly will be easier to pull because they tend to pull down slightly. Have you heard of how the style your designing pulls ? Of course building your own designed plow would be very cool !

Reactions: IHCubCadet147

·
Tractorholic
8,470 Posts
I was checking how much those wheel weights on the Cubs like you pictured . Looks like 136 lb each and by the picture there’s 2 on that side and guessing the same on the other so 544 lbs of weights . When i gardened at the old house using my Power King 2418 , I had 120 lbs of weights on each side plus my 24x8 tires were loaded .

Reactions: IHCubCadet147

·
Registered
22 Posts
That’s the type I was thinking of . That might give you enough traction since it’s mid mounted . Any special reason a regular plow wouldn’t work for your application? Sleeve Hitch Moldboard Plow | PP-510 I believe that style, set correctly will be easier to pull because they tend to pull down slightly. Have you heard of how the style your designing pulls ? Of course building your own designed plow would be very cool !
I don't know how this design is going to pull, nor can I speak to the mounted plow on the cub Farmall. I had a Super C Farmall with a 2-disc Athens brand disc plow that actually pulled easier than the 2-bottom flat bottom plow. The disc plow was a semi-integral, meaning that you picked the front of the plow up and it rolled around on the back wheel. I had a set of mounted flat bottom plows and a trailer plow that I pulled as well. The disc plow pulled easier than any of them.

·
Registered
15 Posts
Discussion Starter · #13 ·
So, I'm currently building my 3 disc plow right now. Hopefully, it will be done by this weekend.
I am missing one Hiller assembly so that might not come till next week but at least I'll get to try out the setup with 2.

And if it's allowed here. . . here is my website. It's fresh and I'm still working out kinks so bare with me. If you run into any problems please report them back here for now.

- Click here!

Font Magenta Illustration Graphics Circle

·
Registered
15 Posts
Discussion Starter · #15 ·
So I began to fabricate the plow and realized I was out of welding wire. :cautious:

Motor vehicle Automotive tire Bumper Automotive exterior Gas

Here are the majority of the pieces cut and deburred.

Wood Font Rectangle Handwriting Space

Tracing out the outline of the tubes that hold the hiller's.

Wood Gas Metal Auto part Machine

Tacking the tubes onto the brackets.

Wood Household hardware Gas Font Auto part

Tacked and ready to weld - when I get a new roll of welding wire. Hopefully next week.

·
Registered
15 Posts
Discussion Starter · #16 · (Edited)
So, I found some welding wire and built it today. . . at the end I made a mistake.
I welded the Yoke on the wrong side, flipping the entire frame the wrong way. I'll fix it in a few weeks.
That being said, I went ahead and tried pulling (2-disc).

Ground Condition:
Neither Lawn mower had any added weights.
I plowed through a garden (no grass) that has not been touched in about 5 months, so the top is kind of hard-packed from the rain, etc.
I pulled it with a mower that has the infamous Plastic Transaxle, the GT RT400, and then swapped to a Tuff Torq, K46 (yes, I know it's not meant for that)

- The GT RT400 (with 20" Ag tires) can pull it with no real issues except you can't control speed.

- The K46 (with 23" Ag tires) pulled it with no real issues. You can feel it tugging, however. I believe you could definitely pull it easily with 20" Ag tires with added wheel weights!

I only got to pull it twice before calling it a day.

Tomorrow I'm going to set the counter-wheel and continue to adjust it and improve the pulls.
Pictures will follow.

Next week sometime, the 3rd Hiller will be here and I can test it again. I'm going to test it with a K46 first. If it will work with a K46, then we all know it will pull with the bigger transaxles.

·
Registered
15 Posts
Discussion Starter · #17 · (Edited)
At first, I wasn't sure about this plow.
After I got it adjusted some it turned out very nice.
If you have rocks or hard clay, this one isn't for you.
Notes:
1. I have it attached to my Sleeve Hitch Trailer which has 80lbs added to it. I'm pulling it was a K46 with 23" Ag tires.
2. The mower has no added weights.
3. I need to rework the counter wheel on the back.
4. I haven't painted it yet either.
5. The frame is mounted reverse (my mistake) 😒
6. the Hiller Clamps are mounted on the inside of the frame (had to mount them this way because I messed up and welded the yoke on the wrong side. 😒

Wheel Tire Plant Motor vehicle Automotive tire

Wheel Tire Vehicle Plant Automotive tire

The patch to the right of the mower has already been plowed and I lack about 3 more passes to finish it.
It has just cut and tossed over some shriveled-up squash vines nicely.
As far as grass - thick grass at least, it gets underneath it and just carries it to the end of the row.
I can't try it out on the fresh ground (grass) yet.
I need to mount a sleeve hitch directly to my mower first and correct the counter wheel issue.

·
Registered
15 Posts
Discussion Starter · #19 ·
Can I get a moderator to move this thread to the "Home Made Tractors, Implements, and Accessories"?
Perhaps that would be a better fit for this. . . ?

Thoughts on the design would also be helpful and grateful.

1 - 20 of 24 Posts