Garden Tractor Forums banner
1 - 8 of 8 Posts

·
Registered
30 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I havent been able to start my tractor with the key for sometime. Ive been turning the key to the on position and jumping the solenoid. Assuming it was a bad switch I bought a new one, installed, and no dice. The timer use to click, the pto clutch would engage when turned on... but nothing now. I put the old switch back on with the same results. Where do I start with this?

·
Red Tractor Nut & Diesel Addict
32,409 Posts
There is a 20 amp breaker that could be faulty or have a bad connection. It's behind the dash on the left side as sitting in the seat. Even if a safety switch was keeping the starter system from engaging, the hour meter should be ticking.

·
Registered
30 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
As I went to check for 12v I found a wire missing from the back of the ing. switch plug. I put that back together and I now have my ticking meter and pto. However it still will not start with the switch. What's next?

·
32,409 Posts
You've tried a new key switch, so likely it's a safety switch somewhere. There is a neutral safety under the tunnel cover, then a seat switch, and the safety circuit in the pto clutch switch itself. But when you say you jump the solenoid...are you jumping across the main posts, or from + battery terminal to the small solenoid post?

·
32,409 Posts
The starter solenoids (relays) usually require a ground, so that could be the issue, or the solenoid is just shot. Just put a volt meter on the small wire going to the solenoid & see if it sends 12V when you turn the key to start. If it does, then it's in the solenoid itself.

·
Registered
30 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
Solenoid was good as it was recently replaced. I was not getting 12v to the small solenoid stud so I connected a jumper between that stud and the terminal on the back of the ignition switch plug that got 12v in the start position. Problem solved. Thanks!!!

1 - 8 of 8 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.