Garden Tractor Forums banner
1 - 7 of 7 Posts

·
14 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Well, I believe the seals for the input and output shafts on my gearbox need to be replaced. It's been leaking and I want it to stop. So I'd like to know of a generic seal number at least for the gearbox (so I don't end up paying a ridiculous price for the part from Snapper). The Snapper number for this is 7019598 . If you had the bearing numbers it'd be nice too, but I don't think those need replacing as of yet.

I'd also like any information someone can give me on the hydrostatic drive bearing. I haven't gotten around to looking at it myself, but in the parts catalog they want $70 for this bearing (presumably including the mount)(Snapper 7018504). Does anyone know if you can just replace the bearing part of it or if you need the whole unit?

Thanks.

·
Red Tractor Nut & Diesel Addict
32,409 Posts
On the bearing, I replaced one on one of my Massey's with a machinery bearings & bolt on flanges from TSC.

·
14 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
Well this sucks. I started disassembling the stuff on the drive shaft for the transmission and found that the spot where the driveshaft bearing rides is worn down significantly... I don't think a regular shim is going to fix this problem.

·
Red Tractor Nut & Diesel Addict
32,409 Posts
Sevalecan said:
Well this sucks. I started disassembling the stuff on the drive shaft for the transmission and found that the spot where the driveshaft bearing rides is worn down significantly... I don't think a regular shim is going to fix this problem.
You are meaning the shaft itself is worn?

·
Tractorholic
507 Posts
olcowhand said:
You are meaning the shaft itself is worn?
That's one reason why my drive shaft is 1" dia. shafting with a cast iron pulley and a bigger universal. (Couldn't find the smaller ones).

·
14 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
Just thought I'd give an update in case anyone here is quite as dorky as me. My dad knows a machinist and had him fix the driveshaft for us. He ground off existing material and then sleeved it with new stuff. Now we're using the same type of bearing that was on there originally.

For some reason the tractor has developed an awful vibration at times at idle now, though I don't experience it all at high revs.

1 - 7 of 7 Posts