Garden Tractor Forums banner
161 - 167 of 167 Posts

· Registered
669 Posts
Discussion Starter · #161 ·
First off, thanks for the kind words, guys!

And regarding the extra hydraulic spool, I've only seen one other Massey that had this option and I wondered the same exact thing. The answer is, they're for NOTHING. I couldn't believe it. There are just two plugs in each port of the third hydraulic spool. I guess it was there for the owner to decide what he wanted to do with it and plumb whatever to it.

I thought about adding a hydraulic top link to my Massey 1855 and using the auxiliary hydraulic spool to control it. I've spent hours and hours searching and researching and I don't really know if I want to do it, because of price and the fact that the shortest hydraulic cylinder that will work, is a couple inches longer than the relatively short Massey Ferguson original top link that came on the 1855.

I thought about using this..........

http://www.surpluscenter.com/Hydraulics/Hydraulic-Cylinders/Double-Acting-Hydraulic-Cylinders/1X4X0-625-DA-HYD-CYL-SWIVEL-EYES-9-7257-4.axd

But then people say you need check valves otherwise there will be cylinder fade, and that adds even more to the cost and then you've over $200. I still don't know what direction I'd go.

Old post, but what about using the deck lift cylinder off one of your parts tractors? The over all length is just a little short but nothing a modded clevis wouldn't fix? That's what I'm thinking of doing with my third valve.

PS, Did you end up using the dash off of that one you acquired?
Good thinking! I never thought about using the deck lift cylinder! Thanks for the heads up on that. I did use the dash, but I'll keep an eye out for another.

· Registered
200 Posts
Good thinking! I never thought about using the deck lift cylinder! Thanks for the heads up on that. I did use the dash, but I'll keep an eye out for another.
Did you have another machine with the 3 point? If so that one would be better.

· Registered
176 Posts
Not sure what you mean by extra? Are you talking about the 3rd spool or a 4th?

I'd like 4 on my 1855 but could get away with 3, 1 for the deck and snowblower or blade lift, 1 for the snowblower chute or blade angle, and 1 for the 3 pt.

A 4th for the 3 pt attachment would be nice (like blade angle).

And regarding the extra hydraulic spool, I've only seen one other Massey that had this option and I wondered the same exact thing. The answer is, they're for NOTHING.

· Registered
669 Posts
Discussion Starter · #165 ·
Not sure what you mean by extra? Are you talking about the 3rd spool or a 4th?

I'd like 4 on my 1855 but could get away with 3, 1 for the deck and snowblower or blade lift, 1 for the snowblower chute or blade angle, and 1 for the 3 pt.

A 4th for the 3 pt attachment would be nice (like blade angle).
I was refering to the 3rd valve, as most MF 1655/1855 tractors only came with 2.

· Registered
176 Posts
Ok, ya, mine just has the 2, I bought a 3 pt from a guy for it and he sent a complete 2 spool block, which got me thinking......

How do you like those ribbed tires on the front? How does it turn with some weight up front?

Dan

· Registered
669 Posts
Discussion Starter · #167 ·
Ok, ya, mine just has the 2, I bought a 3 pt from a guy for it and he sent a complete 2 spool block, which got me thinking......

How do you like those ribbed tires on the front? How does it turn with some weight up front?

Dan
Those Vredstein V61 tires up front are GREAT. They look great and steer great. I'd HIGHLY recommend them, even though they're a bit pricey.

https://www.ebay.com/itm/Vredestein-V61-18X8-50-8-B-4PR-1-Tires/332649883117?hash=item4d737a65ed:g:3g8AAOSwUDla9ujl

161 - 167 of 167 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.