Garden Tractor Forums banner
1 - 11 of 11 Posts

·
14 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hello. I'm wondering how rare Snapper/MF 1855s are to come by. I've looked a lot on the web about them in the past few days and there's certainly not as much about them as there is say.. about a cub cadet. I have to wonder how many were really made. I just recently brought one home(Snapper 1855A) that had been out at my brother's, but he was too lazy to pull the engine and fix the starter, so I spent about 4 hours taking the engine off, cleaning the bendix drive on the starter and lubricating the bearings and put it back together. Works like a champ and runs pretty good now that the carburetor has been cleaned and tuned. It sure is a monster of a garden tractor though. It's quite a bit bigger than my Cub Cadet 149. Another question I'd have is how much did these things cost new? It's so big that I imagine it would take a small utility tractor to really start comparing with it, and those run $10,000 dollars and up.

·
Accumulator
13,481 Posts
Sevalecan :welcometogttalk:glad to have you here.

·
Premium Member
15,923 Posts
I don't think actual production numbers were ever posted anywhere. The 1855's are fairly rare because you definitely don't see them every day. It seems the 1655's are around a little more then the 1855's. That is great to hear you spent the time and got it running again. They are a very big garden tractor, some have compared them to the size of the jd 300 series but I think they are bigger then that.

·
Accumulator
13,481 Posts
I would say physical size wise,they are bigger than the 300 series,wheelbase is the same as the 430 JD. ( 52" )

·
14 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
Awesome. Hm, there is one other question I want to ask though. I noticed that when I switch the rear axle into gear and just kind of rock it a few inches forward I can hear some clicking, either in high or low. I haven't gotten an opportunity to drive it yet as I'm still working on fixing the muffler, but I was wondering if that noise was normal or if it would be indicative of a problem in the rear axle?

·
Registered
5,934 Posts
The 1855's are more the size of the Sears FF tractors and the JD 400's, all made about the same time.

They are a beast of a garden tractor.

only 4 hrs huh? I had to pull the motor on mine cause of the starter, that was 4 YEARS ago and still not running.

1 - 11 of 11 Posts