Garden Tractor Forums banner
1 - 20 of 32 Posts

·
Super Moderator
54,469 Posts
I wouldn't mind one of those tractors! It's looking good.

·
Tractorholic
3,414 Posts
That is a very cool machine!! All looks like it can be fixed up except for the broken ears on the right axle tube DOH! That may be tough to find ?

How does the rear pto work on those units ? Is the engine driven off line of the input shaft to the transmission or I there a belt clutch that runs it ? Or does it run off the front pto shaft that goes thru the front axle pivot ?

I would love to find one of these units for sure to check this stuff all out.

Reactions: KennyP

·
Super Moderator
14,167 Posts
Wow! That really looks solid! I like the red and black front grill. The MF versions have a stainless steel look to the grill. Is the red/black stock on a Snapper?

·
Red Tractor Nut & Diesel Addict
32,409 Posts
That is a very cool machine!! All looks like it can be fixed up except for the broken ears on the right axle tube DOH! That may be tough to find ?

How does the rear pto work on those units ? Is the engine driven off line of the input shaft to the transmission or I there a belt clutch that runs it ? Or does it run off the front pto shaft that goes thru the front axle pivot ?

I would love to find one of these units for sure to check this stuff all out.
Rear pto shaft runs directly from the engine, twin belts downto hydro shaft. Rear pto then has belt tensioner at rear to engage pto. Front pto for belly deck & front attachments has electric pto clutch to twin belts that power the jackshaft.

Man....$125 was a steal!!!!!!!

·
Super Moderator
54,469 Posts
How do you find a parts breakdown for one of these tractors?

·
Premium Member
1,616 Posts
Looks good.I can imagine the amount of time that you've spent on getting it all fixed up. These tractors were way ahead of there time back then. There a very powerful machine ,comparable to the Sub Compacts now. You'll enjoy using it that's for sure.

Reactions: adolphsson09

·
Super Moderator
54,469 Posts
Thanks Daniel! That helped see what they did to get the rear PTO. I do like that setup!

·
1,087 Posts
Yes, I totally agree. These XX55 series tractors are great machines to work with. I've got both a 1655 and an 1855.The 18 needs a rod but by what the 16 will do,I can just imagine what the 2 extra hp is capable of. Your doing a great job bringing that one back to life. Good buy.

·
Tractorholic
1,711 Posts
That looks great! For the axle tube, I think you can cruise ebay for a peerless 2600 axle tube. That should fit. Somebody else my correct me on that as I am not 100% sure.

·
Red Tractor Nut & Diesel Addict
32,409 Posts
That looks great! For the axle tube, I think you can cruise ebay for a peerless 2600 axle tube. That should fit. Somebody else my correct me on that as I am not 100% sure.
I would have to measure, but I think the 2600 series used on the MF14/16 have shorter axle tubes on them.

Edited to add: Just looked up parts numbers, and the axle tubes carry different numbers between the 14/16 & 55 series, and they do carry different numbers. I am almost 100% sure the tubes are longer on the 55 series.

·
Registered
327 Posts
Discussion Starter · #17 ·
Heres a couple more pics I have some touch up to do and the 3 point hitch She is still a work in progress Its not perfect but it was in really bad shape when I got it I NEED THE BRACKETS TO MOUNT IF ANYONE HAS A SET OR WILL MAKE A SET THAT WOULD BE GREAT

Attachments

·
Tractorholic
507 Posts
Looks good.I can imagine the amount of time that you've spent on getting it all fixed up. These tractors were way ahead of there time back then. There a very powerful machine ,comparable to the Sub Compacts now. You'll enjoy using it that's for sure.
I have a 1655 (repowered to 20 hp) and a GC2310. If I had to make a choice, I'd sure miss the backhoe.

MF1655FEL021.jpg

1 - 20 of 32 Posts