Garden Tractor Forums banner

1 - 16 of 16 Posts

·
Registered
82 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
i was just wondering what a fair price would be for a snapper rear engine riding mower with a 28 inch deck is?? it has an 11hp briggs and it has a new deck belt and has been completely re-wired except it needs a new rectifier because it does not charge. battery does not come with it but it runs great. it looks like its a mid 80s? not sure on that. let me know what you think!

·
Registered
2,111 Posts
Around West Central IL most I've seen are between $125 to $250. Most are closer to $125 but my family used them to mow a local cemetery when I was younger and they were great little mowers.

·
Registered
10,069 Posts
A rectifier and battery could add up to quite abit. I would suspect the alternator too. Price for a running Snapper RER, around eastern CT, is the same as above. Good Luck, Rick

·
Collector of Rusty Junk
3,186 Posts
Does it have the Hi-Vac deck?

I believe the 28" was a Hi-Vac, (made for bagging), also what year is it? And what Series?

Reactions: oliver2655

·
Registered
82 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
yes it has the Hi-Vac deck. and i am unsure of what year and series it is but i can get that information for you today.

·
Collector of Rusty Junk
3,186 Posts
That's an older one.

·
Tractorholic
4,070 Posts
It is around a 1992, I'll have to check to be sure. I wouldn't pay more than $75. It has a replacement engine that they mounted the wrong direction, and if you wanted to run the bagger you can't as they removed one support pipe for the bagger, and that was because it was in the way for this engine to mount like it is.

If you do look at this to buy, check the bushings in each rear wheel, they are known to wear out. and check the condition of the drive disk.

They are great mowing machines though! If you don't care about a bagger and it runs and drives good then I would buy it.

·
Collector of Rusty Junk
3,186 Posts
It's older than '92. Mine is a '93, it has the square channel from the front to the back. Also on mine the battery is in a box with a cover on it.

If you can post the model number we could tell more about it.

Mine is a 3011511BE

30" deck, 11.5 HP motor, 11 Series 11 BE Briggs with Electric Start,

·
Collector of Rusty Junk
3,186 Posts
After looking at the tag again, it looks like 28086, which would make it much older. And it came with an 8 HP motor.

·
Collector of Rusty Junk
3,186 Posts
I can't find any info on when the Series 6 was built, but my Series 11 is a 1993 model. AFAIW Snapper has been building these since the late 50's so I would say yours is probably either a 70's or 80's build.

If it's in good shape, I don't see why it wouldn't bring at least $100.

·
Registered
82 Posts
Discussion Starter · #15 ·
it has surface rust in some spots but its a solid mower with no actual holes or anything like that from rust. the drive disk is in decent shape and the wheel bushings seem to be good.

·
Old, but not dead -- yet!
3,232 Posts
yes the model number is 28086s the origional motor should have been an 8hp tecumseh i do believe.
The model Number is decoded as:

28 = width of cut (28")

08 = horsepower (8)

6 = Series

s = electric start

The original engine could have been either a Tecumseh VM-80 or a B&S 190707. .....Snapper used both engines during production. .....Some dealers offered the customer his choice of engine, some dealers did not.

I believe your model was made in the 1979-1982 range.

The price will depend on if you are buying or selling, but as stated previously, $100-$150 is about what these mowers sell for. .....In my area (NJ), you can often find them for less.

1 - 16 of 16 Posts