Garden Tractor Forums banner
1 - 13 of 13 Posts

·
Registered
79 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Good day all!

Found a snowplow for my AMF1014. :rocker2: Pretty excited about that. My question for you is this:

The previous owner bolted on a big old texas honkin piece of angle steel to the top of the blade. Only thing I can figure is that they felt the need for more down pressure on the plow. Have those of you with snow plowing experience felt the need for more weight ON the blade? Or should I take it off and make my hydraulics happier?

·
Registered
5,934 Posts
I've never needed more weight for plowing snow. I have gravel now and it would actually be negative for me.

now when I use it to move dirt, gravel, and grade the drive, yeah, I could use more weight sometimes.

·
Registered
9,225 Posts
I picked up a front blade for my G16XT but it had no lift link. I made my own link out of 1/2" black pipe but with no slot so the blade could float. I can control the down pressure with the lift handle, but it does require to have one hand on the handle unless on flat ground.

Reactions: kellerman88

·
Registered
2,949 Posts
I am going to agree with Tahoe on this one.

·
Super Moderator
6,281 Posts
I never used weight on my plow for snow or dirt. It always dug in and stayed down. Noel.

·
Registered
79 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
Thanks for the responses. :D

I'll just take it off then (I'm not gonna do any back dragging) since it's not really needed. Let the snow fly!

·
Super Moderator
14,167 Posts
I've never needed more weight on a front blade. Mostly it's a battle to try to keep it from digging in. Was it mounted in such a way that it made the blade taller? That might be the reason. Extra height rather than weight?

·
Super Moderator
6,281 Posts
That's a bad word, snow !! I wish and hope I don't have to use my plow. But that's not gunna happen around here. Noel

·
Registered
79 Posts
I've never needed more weight on a front blade. Mostly it's a battle to try to keep it from digging in. Was it mounted in such a way that it made the blade taller? That might be the reason. Extra height rather than weight?
I didn't even think of that! I don't THINK so since it was only attached with the remaining thread from the springs. But it was positioned on the top of the plow with the flat in line with the blade. So it's quite possible. Good thinking. (Wish I had snapped a picture haha)

·
Tractorholic
866 Posts
Was it drilled like a rubber flap was mounted into the angle iron? I have seen that done of trucks to keep snow from going over the plow.

Reactions: JDBrian
1 - 13 of 13 Posts