Garden Tractor Forums banner
1 - 18 of 18 Posts

·
Electric Tractors
5,639 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I'm working on an early model MF620 snow thrower and could use some help/advice on the cable that rotates the chute. I tried a cable that I have but it seems too big, not flexable enough to work or I can't get it to work.

Anybody replace/install a cable on one of these, what did you use and where did you get it?

View attachment 141286 View attachment 141288

·
Electric Tractors
5,639 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
A 3ft piece would do it, lets say 4ft.

What do you do where the cable goes though the small tube that is turned by the handle?

I just put it through both holes but I found it can slip there.

Is there some kinda trick to it?

·
Elf guardian
7,712 Posts
I don't think it's that thick Alan. It's like the OE cable size, but without

the plastic ( or whatever that is ) coating.

Same stuff used on snowmobile hoods. I've been using it for

my tractor hoods too, so if you need some of those for your

hoods Doug, let me know those lengths too.

·
Elf guardian
7,712 Posts
A 3ft piece would do it, lets say 4ft.

What do you do where the cable goes though the small tube that is turned by the handle?

I just put it through both holes but I found it can slip there.

Is there some kinda trick to it?
I think it's 2 1/2 wraps around that drum, in either direction.

So, you don't have the old one in pieces?

·
Electric Tractors
5,639 Posts
Discussion Starter · #9 ·
Don't know exact length. I should be able to crimp myself with what I have.

·
Electric Tractors
5,639 Posts
Discussion Starter · #11 ·
Thanks they forecast 5 to 10 cm of snow for thurs, maybe I get to try it out.

·
Registered
2,111 Posts
Thanks for the info guys. I need to do this sometime in the future so needed to comment so I could find it later. :)

·
Tractorholic
866 Posts
The cable is a bit tricky, you need to have the cable going through the hole in the crank with the middle of the cable. Wrap the cable around the tube maybe 4 turns in one direction, and 4 turns in the other direction to start. I find that using a pair of spring clamps to hold it in this place while you work on the chute end helps a LOT!

Now point the chute forward and take the cable end for the winding below the hole and go around the front of the chute and to the bolt. I loop it through the cable stops and wait before your crimp them. Now run the cable from the top wrap around the back of the chute to the bolt. You will need to play around with the cables a bit, but I hope that makes sense.

after a while you should get the amount of wraps and length of the "ends" correct. You do want it to shoot back ad maybe 8 o-clock and 4 o-clock if facing forward is noon. (I can take more photos or a video of how it works if that helps)

View attachment 141834

You will also need to use a sleeve to stop the bolt for the cables. The bolt only has a little bit of thread and if the bolt is too long, or does not have a sleeve, it will hit the blower head and lock it solid in place. I have a lathe, so it was easy to make a custom bushing, but a simple sleeve on the bolt will stop the bolt from going in too far, and allow you to tighten the bolt so it does not fall out.

Here is what I did on mine.

View attachment 141837

This is the sleeve, along with some nice sleeves I made for the belt cover for the pulley's

View attachment 141838

View attachment 141839

View attachment 141840

·
Super Moderator
54,371 Posts
Now I'm dizzy!

1 - 18 of 18 Posts