Garden Tractor Forums banner
1 - 12 of 12 Posts

·
Super Moderator
14,167 Posts
Thanks for posting this. It doesn't seem like we get as much snow along the Atlantic coast as they did in the era covered by the video.

·
tinkerer
2,433 Posts
That is an interesting video and looks like a nice collection at the museum

Reactions: Moosetales

·
Tractor Whisperer
1,473 Posts
cool video...I've actually considered rolling over the snow before.......always seemed to me it would take twice as long to melt once packed in.....

·
Tractorholic
8,404 Posts
Thanks for posting that video :thumbs: glad it doesn't snow like that here too often , Al

·
Tractorholic
3,097 Posts
Excellent video! Thank you for sharing that, there was some great footage there in places.

·
Super Moderator
14,167 Posts
cool video...I've actually considered rolling over the snow before.......always seemed to me it would take twice as long to melt once packed in.....
Back when I used to hire a plow truck to do my gravel driveway I used to end up with a 3-4" buildup of ice that would take forever to melt in the spring. When I do it myself I try to scrape it down to the gravel if possible. I imagine rollling it would create a real mess in the spring when the ice would melt unevenly causing a rough slippery surface. It's hard to believe that they used to shovel it by hand for miles and miles of road.

·
Live long and prosper
6,791 Posts
I don't know what they get in Maine, but lake effect snow causes some huge amounts to fall over lots of Upstate NY. Plows are all over here.

I never knew they rolled it either. That would be really bad till it all melted.

Good video, thanks for posting it.

·
Always learning something!
1,284 Posts
Discussion Starter · #10 ·
The one device I'd enjoy seeing in action is the plow designed off of the same concept as a planer.

·
Procrastinators unite tomorrow
1,417 Posts
Wow, brings back some bad memory's for me @ 1:19 of the video I drove a truck like that, no heat, hand pump for plow, was a old Navy surplus, guy I worked for had brought 8 of them just for plowing, more I think about he could never keep drivers to run them all at the same time. Best truck I ever drove and it was only one time was a Walter Snow-Fighter that was a snow moving machine, could plow two lanes on the highway with it. Looked a lot like this photo, Wheel Sky Vehicle Tire Automotive tire

Attachments

·
Super Moderator
14,167 Posts
That's a real beast. It must have felt good when you got to the other side of a big drift and the road was clear behind you.

1 - 12 of 12 Posts