Garden Tractor Forums banner
1 - 2 of 2 Posts

· Super Moderator
1976 Sears SS18, 2008 JD 2320
14,292 Posts
Those stator resistance numbers seem very high to me. That must indicate a bad stator. In order to supply high currents the stator resistance would normally be low. Typically you would have a low reading or an open circuit for a bad stator, unless some other component is in parallel with the stator.

If that wire is such a common issue I would just replace it, unless it's difficult to do. On a 40yr old engine the wiring inside the tin has been baked enough to be pretty well done!

· Super Moderator
1976 Sears SS18, 2008 JD 2320
14,292 Posts
I am not a fan of any small engine with electronic ignition. Seems the manufacturer does not make them so they can be diagnosed without tearing the engine half apart and give little correct information. Then they quit making the replacement parts. A points unit is a lot easier to work on and find out what is wrong. Adjust the points right and a new capacitor and they will usually run. Just my opinion.
I like the old points setups as well. The Kohler K series are what I am familiar with and I always seem to be able to get them running and find spare parts for them. Everything is there in front of you and there is no expensive, hard to source electronic box to make it hard to troubleshoot.

Reactions: propane1 and MH81
1 - 2 of 2 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.