Garden Tractor Forums banner
1 - 6 of 6 Posts

· Super Moderator
6,812 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
And found out , no spark. I have been waiting for for this problem to happen, because of all the stuff I hear about the ignition system on these engines. So, any ideas, thoughts. I am not a good electrical guy, but understand some stuff.

Thanks for any help, Noel.

· Super Moderator
6,812 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
Hh120 Tecumseh. Cast iron engine.

Noel

Reactions: chieffan

· Super Moderator
6,812 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
I don't have a copy of the service manual.

Noel

· Super Moderator
6,812 Posts
Discussion Starter · #17 ·
I found the manual. Thanks.

Noel

· Super Moderator
6,812 Posts
Discussion Starter · #24 ·
So, this morning I pushed the tractor out where I can work on it, figued I would try to start it one more time before I get into it and it started right up. Tryed it may times and it started, even snuck up on it and it still started. Must be some thing thou.
Thanks for all the information,
Noel

· Super Moderator
6,812 Posts
Discussion Starter · #26 ·
I have a guess as to what happened, if I can explain it right. So the engine would not start, I knew that it was full of gas, because just had filled it the day before, i don"t shut the fuel off after each use. It had been running great with no troubles. So, not a gas problem, so went directly to check for spark. So I removed the plug wire, put a screw driver in wire and held it 1/8" away from the spark plug tip , where wire goes on. No spark. Tried this a few times. No spark. So figured module was gone. Checked a few things, still no spark. Still in my mind I figured its still something simple. So I slept on it. So today it starts right up, so modules don't fix them selfs over night. Took out the spark plug, some carbon on it but nothing bad. So I figure that a piece of carbon got in the gap of the plug, and while I was checking for spark it could not jump the plug gap and go to ground, if I had put the screw drive to the engine , I would of had spark because it could jump to ground. The carbon acted like an insulator and would not let the spark jump from the screw driver to the plug tip, because there was no path to ground. So, the carbon fell out and it started today. I hope I explained this the way I wanted to and that you all can figure out what I mean.

Thanks again for the information and help, Noel

1 - 6 of 6 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.