Garden Tractor Forums banner
361 - 380 of 403 Posts

·
Registered
8 Posts
necessary to complete one year tractor new model. The old model of doing is completed in three months. Very much to think.
Tests spend for reliability. Tractor working on the video 20 years does not break.

·
Registered
8 Posts
I invent a lot of soil cutters. Each year a new model. Checking new model within one month of continuous operation. My site description fundamentally different structure of soil cutters.
If you're interested I can here the difference rassazat design.

·
Registered
118 Posts
Just recently got one. Maybe about a month ago. Didn't know they existed until then. I would look at them on craigslist and would think they were just regular old lawnmowers. One day I was browsing on Craigslist for a tractor with a loader and I saw what looked like a lawnmower in pieces. But the body wasn't stamped steel like I expected these machines to be. Got curious so I clicked. Tractor was in a dozen different pieces but I saw a deck with what looked like it was PTO driven and a front plow. Never seen a body with tubes on it so I started looking up what these machines were. Googled Bolens 1050 and I was like... Ohhh that is so cool I want one. Guy wanted two bills and saw it was posted for over a month.

Asked my wife if I could get another project (mostly woodworking projects). She said no. I said yes...please! Finally got her to agree to let me get it if I could get it for $50, so I offered $50. Guy said he would let me know the next day. 4 days later and nothing. Messaged him and he said $100 and its mine. I was bummed. Told him the highest I can go is $60 and left it at that.

That weekend I went to pick up a pull along tiller for my dads mower I was using to set up my garden. He calls me up to go pick it up. I was excited! Made up for driving 1.5 hrs one way for the tiller to have the guy stop answering my messages and never show up.

Anyways, here she is just put together. Not even running yet. She wasn't properly maintained but I am slowly getting her up and going. She still dies on me sometimes trying to take off on the highest gear but pulls strong on all other gears. Pulled out a lot of sludge from the the engine, replaced the tranny oil which had a lot of brass shaving but seems to be running fine with no knocks or binds. Greased up all the zerks. All the bushings seems to be shot. PTO leaks grease. But she is a joy to ride.

FullSizeR1_10_zpsdsoznybi.jpg

FullSizeR1_11_zpsp7ruo59p.jpg

FullSizeR1_12_zpsymhbtvrg.jpg

FullSizeR1_7_zpswl4lfpwi.jpg

FullSizeR1_14_zpskdbyipbs.jpg

FullSizeR1_13_zpsdyk56drs.jpg

·
Registered
29 Posts
When I was born my dad had an old wheel horse and I spent my first few years riding on his lap. When I was 5 my parents bought some land to build a house on and my dad cleared the building lot with that little wheel horse and he would always have me drive the tractor back up to the logs so he could hook the chain, then he would take over beating the hell out of that tractor pulling the logs out. When I was 7 and the house was built he bought another "bigger" wheel horse to do all the maitanance around the new house and he gave me the "little" wheel horse for my own...I do still have that frame and belt guard...
I have owned my own personal garden tractor since I've been 7 years old and I am 45 now. I now live in that house we built when I was 7 and the whole hedgerow is full of old garden tractors and old snowmobiles, which by the way my dad gave me my first snowmobile (1969 ski-doo) shortly after he gave me his old tractor and I've always had snowmobiles since too.
My dad often tells me that his vision for the hedge row wasn't littered with tractors and snowmobiles, but he completely realizes he created the monster....lol
He and I still go to many vintage snowmobile shows and antique engine shows, which I also have a collection of hit and miss engines thanks to my dads interest in them.

·
Registered
20 Posts
I just think tractors are plain cool. As a kid I worked on my step fathers truck farm and got to drive his tractors - fell in love with the old 40's vintage Allis Chalmers - I always chose the old one over any of his new ones. My father got an old Farmall Cub to snow plow with - every now and then the front wheels would collapse and we jack it up and retighten the bolts on the width clamps and go back plowing again.

I love being able to do real work with them.

·
Registered
175 Posts
Growing up and living in Kansas I have always though tractors were cool ever since i was little my dad would bring me to shows and auctions and he would tell me about how he farmed when he was my age. then one day my grandpa called and said he sold his 1974 Toyota land cruiser for $500 it was seized but it was over all in pretty good shape. He got mad at him and said he would go up there and get it so we went up there and got it and when we got it back and started to take it apart. we took it apart at my brothers place witch was an old farmstead and id explore the farm wile my dad worked. then one day I found an old grain auger but it wasn't like any id seen before it had a gas motor on it. i called my dad over and he took a look at it and said we should get it running. we took it off and I started questing him about how motors worked and all the components. It fascinated me so i started work on it and told what do do by my dad wile he worked on the car. we got it running pretty easy and I would start it and try to get it running the best it could. It was time to drill wheat when I asked my dad if we could hook the motor up to our auger and put it under a load. we got it all connected and it did just fine even faster than the electric we had on it actually. I started eyeing and old John Deere B my dad had and sooner or later we got it running. it was ruff but it ran and I was proud of it. I went trough many engines after that some I got running some I didn't but it all as for learning purposes. then one day the museum curator said that they needed to clear space for more attractions and so he gave us and old 1939 standard Walsh garden tractor it couldn't wait to get it running but lots of work needed to done first. we started taking it apart learning studding different parts. we knew it was stuck but what we didn't know how stuck. it ended up taking almost half a year to get that thing unstuck almost loosing faith a couple times. but one day I woke up did about my morning business tapping on the engine as usual but this time is was different i went to giggle the flywheel but it moved i thought i was dreaming at first but sure enough it was unstuck. I tell you what i don't think I had ever ran faster to tell my dad what had happened. So we ate and I took my dad out there to see it we took the sleeve out and did some cleaning up of things. but one big problem arose how are we going to get that @#$%! exhaust valve out!?!?! I tried everything that i could do in with garage shop tools but with no luck. And this is were my story sadly ends. I still want to see her run though so i think ill make a tread about it tomorrow ill take some pictures and see what you guys think I have learned most of my info about this tractor from this sight and I am very appreciated from that.

-Sincerely BOB

·
Registered
5 Posts
The way I got started was first my friend made a racing lawnmower out of a huskavarna v twin. After he made that I decided I was going to make one too. My neighbor had a craftsman lt 1000. And gave it to me for some yard work. When I got it I took it apart to the frame and got rid of all the safety's. I took apart the transaxle and cleaned it. When I got it all back together it used all lawnmower parts. It has a 9" pully on the engine and has a 4" pully on the transaxle, it goes 35mph and it's scary to ride. A little while after I made a custom side pipe exhaust. It sounds good but I wanted something louder but also cooler. So when my friend told me that he had a v twin for sale I took the offer. It was for $200,but there was something apart of the deal. I got a ford lt 75 and a v twin for $200. It was a great deal but little did I know I really got the engine for free because I got super attached to the little 3 speed ford . So now I'm restoring the ford. I've been taking it to school in my ag metal shop and working on it. I actually had to have to make a custom hood because it didn't come with one. But I'm making it match the style of it. I didn't have the original engine or the deck either. So I got a 12.5 engine by briggs and it's a squeeze but it fits I can't wait to finish it and when I'm done next year I'm planning on taking it back to ag and making it as far as I know the first hydrolic front end loader equipped ford lt 75. Shade

·
Registered
5 Posts
When I was a little guy about 9 or 10 years old I already had a paper route to make money to help out my mom and dad and maybe even have some left for a soda pop or two and a bag of those sour grape bubble gum balls. Man, were those things good.

Dad had a old sears 18" push mower that I would push around the neighbor hood and drum up grass cutting jobs. Pretty soon the grass cutting business was making more money than the paper carrying business. The nice thing was I didn't have to get up at 4 AM in the morning to deliver papers and argue with people every week about their paper not being there at just the right second, or having to go by their houses 5 or 6 times a week to collect the 25 cents they owed me for the paper that week.

So I quit both my morning and evening paper routes and started cutting grass, and other odd jobs to make money. Finally the old sears mower gave up the ghost and I had to get dad to haul me up to sears so I could replace the one I wore out. I hated to shell out that $39.00 for a brand new one but what the heck it takes money to make money so out the door we went with that shiny new Craftsman 20" lawn mower. Man that thing sure cut good. I kept that old blown up mower and one day I found and old lawn mower in a junk pile that had a broken deck but had good wheels and hopefully the motor had some time left in her. So I dragged the old girl home and with a little wrenching, a lot of imagination along with a little paint I had a almost new looking spare mower that I used to cut our own grass with.

It didn't take long to figure out that no matter what you do there is always going to be a few that will try to get over on you and not pay their bills and I had a couple of folks that were just hard to catch up with when the cutting was done. One of these people was a old guy that had lost his wife in a hunting accident which, I think could be the topic of another long story some time but for now I'll let that ride for now. The bad part was this guy had plenty of money, actually back in those days I guess one would call rich, he just liked to be tight with what he had. I soon figured out that these people needed a little extra attention and I would hound them like a duck on a June bug.

One day when I finished cutting his grass and went up to the door to collect he wouldn't come to the door so after about 10 minutes of banging on the door and promising myself I wasn't going to cut this guys grass anymore if I could just get paid this time it would be the last. More banging on the door with no luck Then I had had enough. I picked up that lawn mower and sat it right up on his porch and fired that mudder up and let her rip WFO and after about 5 minutes he gave up and came out with my $5 in hand. The funny thing is he had a smile on his face and said, Boy, I like you walk with me out back I got something to show you. We walked out back to an old shed and not knowing what to expect I had both eyes wide open and ready for anything. He reached out to open the door and I didn't know weather to run or just hang in there to find out what was in that shed. He pulled the door open and all I saw was junk piled up to the roof line. He had a big stick that he picked up and started beating on the junk pile and yelled get back snake!! I'm a coming in. Well I never saw any snakes but once my eyes got used to the dark I saw this old two wheeled David Bradley tractor and a bunch of other stuff that went with it. He asked me what I thought and all I could say was Man! she is a beauty. He said I tell you what, this old tractor belonged to my wife and I'll never use it so if we can make a deal you can carry it home with you.

I was afraid to ask what the deal was so soon he said I tell you what if you cut my grass once a week for the rest of the summer you can have it. I couldn't believe what I was hearing so I just said you got a deal. I turned around and started walking away while telling him I'd be buy there every week and never put the mower on his front porch again. He said wait, ain't you gonna take it with you? I couldn't believe that he was going to let me have it before paying him off and all I could say was thank you and within about a half hour I was rolling down the road with this bad azzed tractor. It had a pretty good sized trailer that went with it, a sickle bar, plow, disk, and a couple other things that I didn't even know what they were for. This opened up a whole new set of possibilities for me, I could plow and disk peoples gardens and cut fields where the grass was too tall for me to cut with my regular mower. Before long That old David Bradly tractor planted a seed in me that I never could get rid of. I have been wanting another one of those tractors for like ever but the only one I found was one that was just a little too far gone and was never able to get it working.

I have several Wheel Horse tractors, a Power king 2416, a 7 hp gravely walk behind that is the baddest machine I ever had and a JD garden tractor that are all working tractors that I use all the time. I don't have the money to just fix them up for show they all have to work for a living just like me. To me it's nothing more rewarding than to go out and use these machines some of which are not quite as old as me but most are pushing 40 or more years old and still doing the work they were intended to do. when I have the time I'll post some pics if you like.

·
Registered
2 Posts
It is so nice to know that their are so many people out there that love garden tractors I'v loved them ever since I can remember I was around ten years old and seeing my neighbor on his big JD 318, we'll that done it for me ever since then I have been hooked. I hid my addiction for a long time because I thought that I would come off as an oddball to everyone else lol. But come to find out, their are thousands of people just like me and I love it. I am also new to this site so I hope that this post goes to the right place lol.

·
Registered
90 Posts
Grew up with a Wheel Horse 1978 C-141. Traded it for a 2004 315-8. A 26 year old tractor proved to me that it was a tried and true tractor. When I found out Toro was stopping the WH brand and that the 315 was basically same as my 141, couldn't pass it up; figured a GT that lasted 4 boys on a 35 acre farm was enough proof that the next one would last me the rest of my life just mowing and taking care of a garden. Fast forward to 2018. Was looking for an electric lift for my 315. Found a 1986 417-8 with the lift, complete tractor except for no seat and no motor. But the seller had a 12HP Kohler out of a 312A model that was in perfect shape. Made the deal, figuring I would keep my 315 as a mowing tractor and rebuild the 417 into a garden tractor for the plow, disc, and tiller.

While searching for parts on Ebay found a 1964 34R Lawn Ranger Wheel Horse. Couldn't pass up a round hood and the unique smaller size, needs rebuilt but mostly a complete tractor. (my signature pic). Than my enlistment in Wheelhorseforum.com, that led to studying the history of WH. A 1970 Raider 10 was next, a deal I couldn't pass up. This tractor had the same style hood as my C141. Than a 1964 Jacobsen Chief 800 came my way.(had to have a donkey with my herd). This one I plan to convert it to Minneapolis Moline 108 style.

The 34R needed a big brother, found a complete and running 1964 704. Than as I studied the WH history, finding out that the 1963 953 with a 9.5HP Kohler was the first year for the normal size tractor as we mostly know them. 1964/65 1054 was the same but with a `10HP Kohler, before WH started the rest of the line. If no one knows, the one unique feature about WH is that the majority of their line of tractors all have the same frame. Making it possible to swap attachments and implements throughout the years. There are exceptions such as the 953/1054, GT14, and D series. So I had to have one of the first big ones. Found the 1964 1054, it is original and runs like a champ. Lastly I landed a WH 1995 520H with a 48" deck, and a snow thrower, the only hydro-static I have. This tractor had my fancy because it was the biggest motor WH had in the 80's into 90's. Mostly the same tractor as the 1986 and 2004 body style. So that brings me to 7 WH and 1 Jacobsen. My garage is full, but can still park my vehicles in there. And now I have a job for my future retirement years. Probably will have these done by the time I retire and will have others to start.

·
Aaron
6,736 Posts
Dad had a 110 john deere then bought a cub 128. The cub started a cub obsession and we started collecting them and restoring them. It has been going on for 25 years. I was 8 when I got bit.

Just recently bought back the old 110. Found it randomly on Let go for 50 bucks.

Been gone from the family since 1993.

Wheel Tire Motor vehicle Automotive tire Agricultural machinery

Attachments

·
Registered
484 Posts
My addict- I mean, hobby started with an MTD Powr kraft. That tractor was a good starter, only needing a battery. We got it for free in around 2016. I had it a year, it sat with a bad fuel pump and fuel in the oil. I cleaned up a mouse nest in it, and then it refused to shut off after I accidentally pulled off the kill wire. It had an 18 horse briggs. I tried selling it with no luck, but then my father sold it to a coworker alongside my brother's Powr kraft.

Tire Wheel Vehicle Plant Automotive tire

Then my Cub 1250 came along. My pap paid 200$ for me to buy it at an estate auction. I made that tractor almost stock and then it got pulled out of the shed and sat for a couple months outside. The rings got rust in them and they were shot. When I pulled it back inside the entire piston was coated with oil. The bad head gasket was unfortunately the end of that tractor. Some guy bought it only for the motor and is parting it out.

Wheel Tire Vehicle Tractor Automotive tire

Wheel Tire Automotive tire Tread Vehicle

During the course of having the 1250, my brother bought a Cub 108 for me. That thing was junk. The clutch, brakes, pto, and pretty much everything was broke. The motor leaked gas like a sieve and that thing was hacked. The whole tractor was a mess of welds and cracks. I traded it for a parts 1650.

Tire Wheel Vehicle Plant Automotive tire

Then I rescued the burns from my neighbour's house. It'd been sitting for 14 years. It lived outside for a bit longer before the transmission got water in it and froze, so I had to drag it back inside. The original briggs was long gone, with a wisconsin in its place. The wisconsin was also junk, so I put a k161 in it. The k161 was also a mess, with a stripped plug hole, stripped shroud holes, and a bolt snapped off in the side of the head. I am currently putting a briggs 8 horse in it.

Wheel Tire Vehicle Car Land vehicle

Tire Wheel Motor vehicle Automotive tire Tread

Then came the 317. I found it in september, the guy who was selling it was the guy who bought my brother's 300. We talked for months, and then just on a whim, me and my pap went and picked it up. The KT17 is grenaded, with almost nothing salvageable, so I'm putting a Kohler K321 in it, and also swapping the fenders for later 318 fenders.

Tire Wheel Vehicle Automotive tire Green

Wheel Tire Tractor Automotive tire Vehicle

Attachments

·
41 Posts
I was thinking of getting in to pulling. I traded a vintage snowmobile that was dropped off (free) for a lawn tractor with no engine. I had a couple of vintage snowmobile engines and ideas started popping in my head. Then I started looking up pulling on the internet, and realized my tractor wasn't going to make a good puller. Even though my engines were strong enough, the tractor would need extensive modifications to point it wasn't worth it. I gave the tractor away. My boss at the time was in to racing tractors and had this Gilson built Wards 16HP unit for sale. I was going to set it up for street racing (closed course with obstacles, etc). It was only $75. The starter didn't work. I pulled the starter and cleaned it up and oiled it. I've had hit 12 years or more, still starts and runs great! I used mostly for moving the large vintage sleds I had ( I since sold them). One day I decided to buy belts and blades for the deck, and have been using it for the lawn ever since. Ever so often I get the itch to build a puller, but it's not a real priority. This tractor is strong, I've pulled over 1,000 pounds on a trailer with no issues. But it only has like a 1/2 wide (about) drive pulley! I don't think it or the transaxle would hold up to pulling. I had decided I don't want to risk destroying it by pulling, so it's just a yard machine. Besides, It's just fun to get on it and mow the lawn and "rake" the leaves with it with a pull behind sweeper. I'm not sure if I'll ever restore it.

·
Registered
172 Posts
When I was a kid, maybe 6 or 7 years old a relative had a large property that was lined with apple and pear trees. The lot was about 30 acres with about 15 of them being lawn. During the summer, when school was out all us kids got taken up there for several weeks at a time for "vacation". In reality I think we were more like free labor but I didn't mind it. I was a big kid for my age so I could reach the pedals on tractors so I got to mow the grass and haul firewood, I even got to run the old Farmall 140 once in a while. It was crank start only, my uncle told me if I could start it, I could drive it. He gave me a quick lesson on how to work a crank start tractor and he stood back, most likely thinking there's no way I'd get it started. But I did and from that point on, it was my job.

A few years later, at home, we had only a quarter acre lot, but while I was out delivering newspapers one evening I came across a free rear engine rider in the trash. I hurried up and finished my paper route, then ran back with a rope and a tire pump and pushed the thing home about a mile.
I tinkered with it for a long time and finally figured out how to get at the points on the old thing. It was pretty old even then, about a 7hp Briggs Stratton engine with a rope sheave for a starter, no recoil. I filed the points, got it to run but it smoked like an old freight train and used more oil than gas. I dug around in a local junk yard for a used motor but never found anything that would match up to the original drive pulleys. It sat behind the garage for a bit and then a buddy said his brother just stripped out an old VW to make a dune buggy and the old engine ran fine.

We took a wagon down the street, grabbed the old 40hp VW engine, which was complete and had been running recently.
Step one was to weld a pulley to the back of the flywheel, then we made up a tensioner pulley and a spring, then a clutch lever on the right side.

We welded another pulley to the rear axle and by passed the transmission all together. The pulley on the motor was about 9", the one on the axle about 3".

We mounted the motor with angle iron brackets we made up.

Keep in mind this was on a stamped steel rear engine rider from the early 60's at best, it had 10" hard rubber front tires and what amounted to hand truck rear tires. We never even thought about brakes. (Or a muffler for that matter).

When we got done, it was loud, and a bit unbalanced, but it ran and moved. Boy did it move!. We had no way to figure how fast it went but we soon figured out that mower wheels didn't steer well at high speeds, nor did bronze bushings for front wheel bearings do well at road speeds. The thing went through several wheel 'options' finally ending up with a pair of 8" trailer rims and tires attached to the original front spindles with lock collars and spacers. The rear wheels were from a golf cart when we were done.

It was around for a year or so or until someone finally drove it off the road into the woods and someone else's parents insisted on its destruction before someone got killed on it. We sold it to someone a few blocks away who was a few years younger and never saw it again.

I never did figure out what model or brand the original rider was, it was stamped out of rather thick steel and was sort of shaped like a boat in that the floor and engine were mounted low, and there was a 6" tall rim or ledge around all sides. The motor mounted flat with the belt driving a single speed Peerless 90° transmission with a chain to the rear axle. I just did another search and didn't see anything even similar to it.

If I remember right it was olive green and dark yellow like a school bus with rubber floor mats and solid stamped steel seat with huge slots in it length wise.
It was sort of like the 70's Sears rear engine mowers but a lot heavier duty and a good bit larger.

We graduated from that to a Toro 770 that had a bad Tecumseh engine so we rigged a Honda CL100 engine on it and a sprocket to the rear axle. That one was really dangerous because it went much faster and had a higher center of gravity. I think someone finally broke an arm on it and it went away.
After that I had come across a John Deere 110 with a snow plow and I had that for 20 years, even using it to make money pushing snow in high school and later at my own house till I bought a Bolens 1250 at an auction, and now I've graduated to mostly all Allis Chalmers and Simplicity machines almost 50 years later.

·
Registered
6 Posts
Ive always liked them but my dad got a 39 model john deere A and restored it, got me interested so i bought a 37 model, seen a post of an old bantam tractor and really loved it so after about a year I finally found one and it all took off from there with the small rare tractors!

·
Registered
1,061 Posts
I have always been interested in pretty much anything with a motor. My dad used to have a Cub Cadet 127. I never got to use it, but always loved watching him use it. After he accidentally ran it out of oil and blew the motor, he got a Yard Machines. It lasted a couple years, then we replaced it with a John Deere LA120. When the rear end went bad, I decided to look for a heavier duty tractor, and always like the looks of the 1x6/1x7 Cubs, and knew they were a well built machine. I bought my 147, and loved it. Now within less than two years, I have 7 Cubs.

·
Registered
56 Posts
Always wanted to own a tractor since I moved into the country but thought that all tractors are huge and that you only have use for one if you have acreage.

However the clay soil is very hard to work by hand on my quarter acre so a machine is basically needed. Being a shearer I was checking out all the farm clearing sales (farm closing down auctions) for a grinder to sharpen my tools and I came across my first garden tractor.

It was a Barford Atom two wheel tractor which is the most common garden tractor around my way. It had 4 implements with it 3 for ploughing and a grader. It looked very useful to me as I had a fairly large plot set aside for vegetables and also was doing a lot of spreading of gravel and the such around my new house.

Put a bid for $500 and won it, transported it back home in my station wagon. Been fascinated with these small tractors ever since. Now constantly looking for more implements and am now about to upgrade to a sit on garden tractor.

Trying to learn about all the old GTs that are available here, which is far far less than what you guys have in the states.

·
Registered
4 Posts
We stopped at the steam pageant and tractor show to watch the horses pull and afterwards I researched Gravely's until, when putting a bid on a rustplie buried shed debris, the owner told me that we were all crazy and that I was #50 in line. Shortly afterward I walked away from a trailer that contained in parts 3 Cub Cadet originals (a friend went back and purchased them). Next year(2019), after the steam pageant and tractor pull I found a 1969 Wards Squire 12 (Gilson) and purchased it for $40. Started working on this past weekend...it is full of spiders and doesn't run yet.

·
Registered
40 Posts
When i was a kid in the late 60's/early 70's I wanted a go cart but there was no cash and my parents didn't like the idea much.

I trash picked an old rear engine rider, the old kind with heavy steel. First I got the old 4hp engine running, then I realized how much more fun it was if I changed the gearing on the chain. Then I played with the belt pulleys, then I changed the engine to an 8hp Briggs, and it went on, until there wasn't much left of the original machine. When I rigged on an old Yamaha bike motor it got scary fast for something with no suspension, hard rubber front tires, and an open chain drive. After adding a pair of hand truck front wheels with pneumatic tires, and realizing that there was no easy way to give it brakes I sold it. But I was hooked, The next thing was a front engine Toro, I welded on some new pulleys with a better ratio, and soon found out that those tiny transmissions weren't meant to go 25 mph, and a high center of gravity and no brakes were a bad combo.

Ever since I've been tinkering with small engines and old tractors, I left the going fast to purpose built go carts and rail buggies over the years but have always had an old tractor around to do work in the yard. Sometime two or three, or four...

361 - 380 of 403 Posts