Garden Tractor Forums banner
381 - 400 of 403 Posts

·
( ಠ ͜ʖಠ)
805 Posts
Mine started when I was 8 years old. My grandfather was sending stuff to the dump and I saw the reflection of a seat in the pile. So then we pull it out and then we don’t know what it is. It’s a lawn tractor that had been poorly spray painted by someone... My grandfather puts a bit of gas in it, then pulls the pull rope 3 times, it fired right up and we both have the “wow” face. He drives it around a tiny bit, then lets me try, I personally had no clue how to use a clutch, but then my grandfather gave me a little demonstration. I jump on and then I push in the clutch although this time, something was wrong... when I pushed down, a big snap noise happened then the force on the clutch-petal died. There was no spring for the clutch petal to come back! So I used my foot to push back on the petal. It was a blast! It was so fun to shift the 3 gears and have my very own lawn tractor. Years later, I still have it and I restored the exterior. To my profile pic. I need to shorten the chain so it will fit the drive sprocket though as of right now. But I just bought a chain breaker tool so I can shorten it! If anyone asks me specs about it I will gladly answer them. Thanks!

·
Registered
73 Posts
Mine started in the mid 70's, as a kid, we would go to our local mall, and park outside the Montgomery Wards. The door we would go in was right next to the lawn and garden section and I would always hop on the garden and lawn tractors on the way in, receiving a prompt scolding by mom and dad. It was my first thought of the freedom of driving. Who knew 40+ years later I would purchase Gilson and Montgomery Ward garden tractors to help with yard work. I'm an engineer by education and license, and a tinkerer by hobby. I always find myself asking why in the world I don't just buy a new sub-compact with all the bells and whistles instead of wrenching on 47 year old machines, keeping them working...but it is what I do. They are rusty and crusty, but they still get the job done...a bit like me I guess.

·
Registered
2 Posts
Well I have about 10 acres at my 2nd house and I got tired of using a push mower to mow around the house and entry way so I broke down and started looking for a rider. I don't like the new stuff it just don't do it for me. so I went looking on E-bay and Craigslist and I lucked out I found my John Deere 322. it had spent most of its life pushing snow off sidewalks at a hospital. Kept inside and pampered with only like 600hrs. on it. the guy I got it from worked at a JD dealer and had gotten it when the hospital upgraded to something else. I got it with a 50" mower deck, 54" snow blade. I have since added a 3 point on it. and many attachments as I looked up the 322 I seen all the things that were made for it like the front end loader I was blown away with what I had gotten they made them to be beasts. I fell in love with it and later I picked up a JD 318 at an auction here in town it had a 50" deck, 54" front blade, and a 30" hydro tiller. there was only 2 of us bidding on it. got it cheep. someone else showed up to bid after I had got it. he would have made it go a lot more it has just over 900hrs. on it. my new neighbor has 2 Cub Cadets he has made pulling tractors out of them. I know I am just beginning but defiantly want more these are awesome. still adding more attachments some bought some made. making a brush guard currently with a weight bar and a 2" receiver built in. so I can better use my just made boom pole without lifting the front off the ground while dragging logs.

·
Registered
8 Posts
Hi all, I just drug home two vintage GT's, a Bolens G11XL and a Gilson M-7 (I think). Both are projects, the engine (Briggs 11hp) for the Bolens is in pcs, bad crank, scored pistons, etc.) and the engine in the Gilson is of unknown condition and missing a few parts. The Bolens came with a mower deck and a tiller attachment, the Gilson has no attachments. I have a mower already, my intent is to fix the Bolens and just use it for tilling the garden, I want to put a bucket scoop and/or grader blade on the Gilson, assuming its not missing any key components that prevent it from moving. They are both standard gear boxes. I haven't dug into the Briggs on the Gilson yet, it looks like about a 7hp Briggs, it turns over and has compression, I'm hoping I can get the missing pieces and get it to run. The Briggs in the Bolens is questionable if its repairable, I may just look for another engine or look into a repower. (Honda?)

I'm here hoping to get advice, find parts if I need them. I'm no stranger to small engines, it all started with my home-built mini bike when I was 12, various other mini-bikes and go carts, eventually motorcycles and cars. I've had a few AC and Simplicity GT's in the past, always liked tinkering with them. My uncle had an old Bolens long ago, I remember how much he loved that old machine, so when I ran across these on Craigslist I jumped on them. I had some free time this spring and decided to tackle a bunch of lawn and garden power projects, starting with a lawn mower that I've had for 35 years. Then came a little tiller my son gave me (he left it outside!), a bigger rear tine tiller my neighbor gave me (he left it outside!), then my brother gave me a Troy Bilt Horse tiller that wasn't working (yes, he left it outside!) But I missed having an actual GT, so here I am. At some point I need to thin the herd, (I probably don't need 5 tillers), but I'm having fun tinkering with these. My goal is to get the Bolens fixed by fall for the fall garden tilling. Let the fun begin!

·
Registered
8 Posts
Pict's of the little Gilson, I can't find any info on it, other than I think it was made in '67 and had a recoil-only start, 7 or 8 hp Briggs. Note the converted office desk chair for a seat. Its been hacked on a bit, but whats there doesn't look like its been too abused, steering and "drivetrain" are free and not too loose.

Attachments

·
andweknow.com
625 Posts
I got hooked at like 2 years old or something :rolling: my mom and dad have tons of pics of me playing with toy tractors and all my toys were tractors. there was an old jd in our garage that i played with until it got sold when i was 10. then i saw this 1984 ford yt12.5 tractor in the neighborhood and wanted to buy it. i bought it at 13 years old for 100 bucks. it came with 2 lawn mower decks (one worked, kinda, the other for parts) and a snowblower. i rebuilt it to working condition and semi restored it :D. now it cuts our lawn and snowblows of our driveway and takes up space in our garage. now im 14 and i got a 1961 jacobsen 100a with a plow. it is being restored and now my dad is regretting ever bringing it home... it takes up so much space

·
Registered
1967 Craftsman 856C & 857C
287 Posts
For me, it was my grandparents on my fathers side. I would say since I was 5 maybe 6 years old I used to go from window to window and watch my grandfather mow the lawn, then my grandfather would push me on the tractor around the yard without starting the engine when I got a little older from what they tell me. Then when I got old enough to where I was not scared anymore they started the engine on the tractor and I used to ride the tractor around the yard myself without mowing the actual lawn. That said you could say tractors are in my blood, I love em all and tractor pulling as well.

·
( ಠ ͜ʖಠ)
805 Posts
Boy! When i was 9 years old. In a junk pile i saw a seat of a lawn tractor! I pulled it out. and it looked rough. Starter fluid down the carb and fired up on 3 pulls. That was the first time its been started in 15 years! Started right up! and drove too! Was a great tractor. i restored it and went to tractor shows and it was great (profile pic is the tractor) i took the mower deck off and but a new drive belt on it! it was truly a great tractor till 2019's November when i was just driving around on a hill when "snap" the chain popped off. i ordered a half offset link for the drive chain (yes it had one) and it was all good. moment of truth? started right up. put it in gear... nothing. turns out. something in the transmission went bad. It wont go in any gear and yes. i took it to the mechanics. its fully mechanical on the inside. No wood ruff keys, no splines. they said they had to take the engine out and bend the frame and it was too much... Grand estimate of 800$ just to get it out. repair is like 300$. wasn't worth it. so it lays under a tarp outside now. waiting for something to happen. i just bought a craftsman || (lt4000) and its been fine. needed a drive belt, but thats about all. It still has problems though, like no brakes, no lights, and the most annoying issue, it stalls after an hour! It will just stop. still dont know now but i got it for $80 so kinda have to expect that... anyways. yeah. that got me into tractors!

Attachments

·
( ಠ ͜ʖಠ)
805 Posts
Boy! When i was 9 years old. In a junk pile i saw a seat of a lawn tractor! I pulled it out. and it looked rough. Starter fluid down the carb and fired up on 3 pulls. That was the first time its been started in 15 years! Started right up! and drove too! Was a great tractor. i restored it and went to tractor shows and it was great (profile pic is the tractor) i took the mower deck off and but a new drive belt on it! it was truly a great tractor till 2019's November when i was just driving around on a hill when "snap" the chain popped off. i ordered a half offset link for the drive chain (yes it had one) and it was all good. moment of truth? started right up. put it in gear... nothing. turns out. something in the transmission went bad. It wont go in any gear and yes. i took it to the mechanics. its fully mechanical on the inside. No wood ruff keys, no splines. they said they had to take the engine out and bend the frame and it was too much... Grand estimate of 800$ just to get it out. repair is like 300$. wasn't worth it. so it lays under a tarp outside now. waiting for something to happen. i just bought a craftsman || (lt4000) and its been fine. needed a drive belt, but thats about all. It still has problems though, like no brakes, no lights, and the most annoying issue, it stalls after an hour! It will just stop. still dont know now but i got it for $80 so kinda have to expect that... anyways. yeah. that got me into tractors!
haha i forgot i already commented in febuary

·
Registered
7 Posts
I think the real itch started when I bought my first house, that had a driveway, and sidewalks to plow snow on. My first tractor was an old "knee burner" 1959 Wheel Horse that I brought back from the dead, and mounted an 8HP Briggs on. My Dad got a deal for an old Ford that had a Johnson front end loader mounted on it. He also got a spare "parts" tractor along with it that was the same thing, but a Jacobson with broken transmission gears. He gave me the Jac, and a snow plow, that I rebuilt, and painted.

Over the years, I have probably bought/fixed/sold about 30-40 garden tractors, and currently have 4 in the barn right now.

·
Registered
34 Posts
I got my first riding/garden mower/tractor after moving to Idaho, with 2.6 acres (not all lawn. LOL) and having a huge yard to mow. My old place was just 1/5 acre and the yards were small and I mowed them for 18 years with a push mower. A craftsman 6hp 21" cut that was still running when I moved and gave it to my neighbor.

·
Registered
10 Posts
I've been around tractors and equipment all my life. I'm interested in anything with moving parts. While I do have a bit of a fleet of cars and a few tractors, all of those are outnumbered by garden tractors. My reasoning is that they're cheaper than cars and easier than tractors in almost every way. I have at least one of each of the big tractor brands besides New Holland and many more off brand and unique machines. As of right now I have 111 garden tractors.

Sent from my SM-S102DL using Tapatalk

·
Registered
30 Posts
First off I'm 32 years old, I know many of the members here are older than me(no offense intented). My dad had a friend up the road when I was growing up that collected and restored specifically Antique GM Cars and Cub Cadet garden tractors. I liked both but was always more drawn to the garden tractors because I considered them more financially attainable. When I bought my first house with 2.5 acres I needed a mower and bought an MTD Tradesman 1846 to mow the grass (I know most of you dont consider this model antique or a garden tractor but it's still a stellar machine.) It spiraled uphill from there to a Bolens 1055 so I had something to snowblow the drive, a Roper RT10 just because it was a good deal and a pair of Case Ingersoll 4020's that I bought just because I liked them. I've owned a couple cub cadets but they didnt thrill me much but hey that's alright. Anyhow that's how I got started.

·
Registered
25 Posts
Rebuilt the drive train on this Snapper cassic then was given a Craftsman LT 11 36. Now the Craftsman isn't my dream tractor but will give me valuable experience.

·
Registered
1 Posts
I guess I just like this stuff and like tinkering.I love power. I like to build things such as total rebuild of allis 917H. I built a semi tear drop camper, a 4 wheel bicycle, I built 2 20" gas powered HD. chopper bicycles A yard cart for my allis and one foor my 314. I'll try to get some pictures together later.

·
Registered
61 Posts
When my in laws sold the farm and moved to town, my FIL had an MF 14. He had no use for anything that size. It was a 1975 and was showing it's age. He gave it to me to tinker with. I tinkered, a LOT !

Now I have 2 MF 14's. 5 Wheel Horses,3 John Deeres, 1 Lawn boy rider, and 22 Lawn Boy walk behind mowers. I'm still tinkering. My lot is about 1/2 acre. If I can find enough operators, I can mow it in 3 minutes. ;)

·
71 Posts
Interesting older thread but continually relevant to this forum.
My interest comes from my first experience with a Bolens 770. That was the first garden tractor my dad bought. I used it for many years mowing our yard and then eventually a few other yards in the area we lived in. No trailer back then so I drove it between the locations I mowed. After I bought my first house and property, I couldn't afford a full sized tractor even though the need was there but I could afford a used garden tractor which I subsequently bought and misused for years. Yea, I've long had a fascination for what most would consider a disposable tractor that is too small for the tasks at hand but somehow they usually seem to work and get the job done. My current fleet contains a few old Fords and a newer Cub Cadet along with two 420 John Deere garden tractors.

·
Registered
28 Posts
I'm just getting into garden tractors, but let me start by saying that I had no interest in anything farm/garden related until recently. I also always try to make things better than they are, I like modifying everything. I've always disliked having to go out once a week to mow, and mostly because I felt like it was a pointless chore. But I am now coming around to a more fruit-full(pun intended) way of life.
It started with my neighbor giving me a barely running Husqvarna lawn tractor to releave from duty my 1986 Craftsman lawn tractor. Neither were heavy duty, but I felt like the craftsman could be more. So I thought about turning it into a garden tractor, and putting it to work around the home. Fast forward through my research phase, and I ended up buying a CC129 because the Craftsman can't be what I envisioned for it. After getting the Cub, I wanted a tiller for the back of the tractor because I am lazy. So I poked around and found an old Craftsman tiller that looked big, but already had an engine, wheels, and tiller tines, cool. I bought it not knowing what it was, and started researching again, and realized that it already was a tractor, and could do more initially than I thought. Still waiting for the other attachments from the seller.
Currently I'm in the process of making an older IH Super A plow into one that my Cub can handle. It is a bit big and heavy for a GT. But first, it needed to be cleaned up.
Also I'm on a Gravely walk-behind kick. Those things seem stout.
So as of right now, I have 2 tractors, 3 lawn-tractors, and want to buy all the things I find on Craigslist/Ebay.... Even the small full size tractors are tempting. I have a little less than an acre, I have to keep reminding myself that I don't need a real tractor. Let the madness commence.

381 - 400 of 403 Posts