Garden Tractor Forums banner
401 - 403 of 403 Posts

·
100 Posts
I have been wanting to start a thread on this and I think it would be cool to hear how everyone initially got the itch to either buy their first or start collecting lawn and garden tractors. I will add mine a little later.
My Dad. Around 1968 he bought a Montgomery Ward walkbehind and 8 attachments, so that I could maintain our large garden in the absence of my older brother. As an 11 year old, this was awesome. I still have that one, and a dozen more walkers, and 7 riders, including 3 Sears ST16s, a Cub 129, Simplicity 7016, Ford 100, and a Craftsman GT6000. Not to mention my 1949 Farmall Cub.
I may have issues.....

·
Registered
Ingersoll 224, 1989
119 Posts
I got enthused with the hydraulics on Case/Ingersoll tractors along with their durability. In 2001 I bought a Craftsman DLT2000 to mow and snowblow. The engine blew with less than 400 hours. Other parts were failing too. I soon learned the old vintage tractors, and garden tractors in particular, are far more durable.

·
Registered
9,280 Posts
In 2017 was at an auction that had a Bolens gear drive running with mower deck that sold to cheep. I can home with me and built the herd up to around 25 at one time. Tired of working on them all the time so sold several off and down to 5 the I will be keeping. Have two sold waiting for better weather, and 2 listed with some interest. One was sold but the guy coming after it missed a turn off on the highway, got lost, irritated, phone didn't work so went back home.

401 - 403 of 403 Posts