Garden Tractor Forums banner
1 - 20 of 37 Posts

·
1,087 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I just picked up a MF10 and 12. The 10 needs a ignition module so I'm told. Just wondering if the 10hp and 12hp Tec engines use the same modules ?

·
Jack of all trades, master of none.
1,133 Posts
I'm about 98% sure that they do

Reactions: limebuzz

·
1,087 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
Thanks Rick. Just pulled the plug out and the intake valve is sticking open. Tap it and it snaps back shut. And the gas smells to be 20 years old. So,looks like a bit more work than I was hoping.

·
Jack of all trades, master of none.
1,133 Posts
You going to take the valves out and clean the stems up and clean the guides?

·
1,087 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
Ya, have a few other projects before I tare into this one. Never had a tec engine. Should be interesting. I do have a good running 12hp tec I could slap in and be done.

·
Super Moderator
6,263 Posts
I was wondering the same thing , if 10's. And 12's are the same. I don't need a ignition at the moment. But I have a 10 engine that does not turn, but was hoping there is an ignition module in it and that maybe it would fit the 12 if needed. Noel.

·
Super Moderator
6,263 Posts
Nice pictures, the 10 has the fancy chrome muffler shield. My 12 had that until I put a stack on it. My muffler was bad and had to replace it. Still like the chrome shield look thou. Any attachments with them ?? Noel

·
Electric Tractors
5,639 Posts
Good Stuff the 10 is a late model has the bump on the right side foot board, deluxe muffler, late model mower mount, and you got another Hydro.

SSI is powered buy the stator coil, should check that first, I think that's the part that burns out if you put 12volts to the ignition circuit.

·
Super Moderator
6,263 Posts
Doug, what do you mean , bump, and are the ignitions the same between the 10 and 12. ?? Noel

·
Electric Tractors
5,639 Posts
As far as I know SSI ignitions are interchangeable, there are different part #s and some look different than others but they are interchangeable in the HH engines.

The bump on the top of the footboard is to allow the tension pulley to raise up more than earlier models, I guess they figured it would work better if there was a little more travel.

Bump is on the top of the footboard just in front of the seat.

·
Super Moderator
6,263 Posts
Thanks, Doug. I see what you mean now. So it's newer than 69. It does not have the little tractor in the top triangle of the front grill decal. Is that correct? Noel

Mower deck hook up is a little different on the front , from the older ones to the newer ones. ?

·
Electric Tractors
5,639 Posts
I just checked AGCO parts books and it looks like they made the change in 1974 and up to the step plate with the hump.

Same for the MF12g tractor.

The one Limebuzz has here is the newer type.

·
1,087 Posts
Discussion Starter · #16 ·
Nice pictures, the 10 has the fancy chrome muffler shield. My 12 had that until I put a stack on it. My muffler was bad and had to replace it. Still like the chrome shield look thou. Any attachments with them ?? Noel
I think the chrome shield will shine up,but the muffler is shot. Just the deck came with it. I'm sure there was a blower with it at one time, the little eyelets are still on the front for the helper springs.

·
1,087 Posts
Discussion Starter · #17 ·
Good Stuff the 10 is a late model has the bump on the right side foot board, deluxe muffler, late model mower mount, and you got another Hydro.

SSI is powered buy the stator coil, should check that first, I think that's the part that burns out if you put 12volts to the ignition circuit.
Thanks Doug. The thing is, the coil is missing completely,but I will test the stator. And yes. This is the first I've seen with this mower mount.looks quicker mounting and unmounting.

·
Tractorholic
866 Posts
Don't be afraid on the Tec ignition, the "Stoller Solution" is a great fix. Mine has been going for 7 or 8 years now. BEST thing I ever did on the tractor!

With the coil missing, don't bother looking further. The pick up coil from Ed Stoller, and the new ignition parts will replace all of that. If you need any help, just ask me!

·
Registered
5,934 Posts
There were 3 generations of the SSI modules, since yours is missing, it will be a crap shoot to get the one that was on it, but all three will work. Unless you piece meal it together yourself and know what your doing, any of the conversions out there will run you $140-160. I am going to try to put one together for around $70, hopefully

If you have to spend the money, I would recommend Dale Covert's Overnight ignition solutions kit, it's a direct plug and play and does not require the battery to run the engine. All the others you will find convert you over to an auto style battery-coil system meaning you need a good charging system also.

I have a break down of the systems in my sig.

Whatever you do, do not go to ebay and buy and overpriced 40 yr old unit that may fail on you tomorrow.

I am also working with a guy who may have a fix for burnt up coils for close to no money :dancingbanana:

Tecumsehs get a bad rap, but I love them, just have to learn their bugs. When running good, they are workers.

·
1,087 Posts
Discussion Starter · #20 ·
Thanks, so if I try a bunch that I have laying around. And it's different than what that engine had, it will not hurt anything? I know squat about tec engines

1 - 20 of 37 Posts