Garden Tractor Forums banner

1 - 12 of 12 Posts

·
Deceased
4,845 Posts
I joined a UK forum recently looking for some info on the HDT1000 and the thread has 'wondered around' a bit :D :D :D

One of their members, slf-uk, who just happens to be a member here as well, posted a pic of the list prices of the Bolens large frames for 1980.

I asked him for permission, which he graciously granted, to 'steal' it and post it over here, so without further ado:

[sharedmedia=core:attachments:139213]

Now we all know that Bolens was THE high end brand in the US at the time, and their pricing reflected that.

With a bit of searching, I found the rate of exchange in 1980 (2.449-1), and with the US pricing info I found in our archives, here are some interesting comparisons.

In the US: HT23 - $4.500.00 or $12,896.60 in today's dollars

In the UK: HT23 - £3,100.00 = $7,582.60 or $21,731.05 in todays dollars

In the US: HT20D - $5,400.00 or $15,475.92 in today's dollars

In the UK: HT20D - £3,650.00 = $8,927.90 or $25,586.56 in todays dollars

You would have to think that is someone in the UK wanted an HT23 or HT20D, they had to be pretty well off.

·
Registered
9,183 Posts
Very interesting comparison. It was about the time that Bolens was sold that the American way started to change. People started to put price before quality which led to the throw away world we have today. Thanks for posting that information.

·
Registered
4,770 Posts
Thanks for the information.

Now, will this documentation help to get the prices up of used BOLENS GT's??

·
Registered
477 Posts
Let's not compare the pickers "or as i refre to them as the Left and the Right %^#@&*" to any thing real . And as for the *(&%$#@&)

On ebay who wents 50'000 dollers for a $250.00 tractor . this is just a look back at what the best tractor built , cost back when . And now more people went them .

gee how many points to i get for this.?

·
Banned
5,695 Posts
I joined a UK forum recently looking for some info on the HDT1000 and the thread has 'wondered around' a bit :D :D :D

One of their members, slf-uk, who just happens to be a member here as well, posted a pic of the list prices of the Bolens large frames for 1980.

I asked him for permission, which he graciously granted, to 'steal' it and post it over here, so without further ado:

Now we all know that Bolens was THE high end brand in the US at the time, and their pricing reflected that.

With a bit of searching, I found the rate of exchange in 1980 (2.449-1), and with the US pricing info I found in our archives, here are some interesting comparisons.

In the US: HT23 - $4.500.00 or $12,896.60 in today's dollars

In the UK: HT23 - £3,100.00 = $7,582.60 or $21,731.05 in todays dollars

In the US: HT20D - $5,400.00 or $15,475.92 in today's dollars

In the UK: HT20D - £3,650.00 = $8,927.90 or $25,586.56 in todays dollars

You would have to think that is someone in the UK wanted an HT23 or HT20D, they had to be pretty well off.
You also have to think that at the time, there was a very limited import of compact tractors, so what Bolens had to offer is what is sold now as the small Kubotas, small Masseys, and their brethren. If you realize that, you realize that Bolens pricing was high, but right in line for what they had to offer.

Ben W.

·
Super Moderator
14,167 Posts
In general cars, trucks, tractors etc always seem to have been more expensive in Europe. I'm not sure if that's due to import duties and taxes, higher profit margins or what it is. Fuel is always way higher over there as well, like maybe double the cost here. Diesels have always been popular in cars and perhaps the diesel Bolens GTs were a better seller there as well.

·
Registered
393 Posts
I think a 4x4 HT with Loader would be handy. Everytime I park mine beside the BX I think what that BX axle would look like under her lol

·
Deceased
4,845 Posts
Discussion Starter · #12 ·
... People started to put price before quality which led to the throw away world we have today. Thanks for posting that information.
There was a certain amount of that, but the demographics were changing as well.

More and more people were moving to smaller suburban lots that didn't need the capabilities of a GT.

They weren't planting gardens, and such so all they really wanted/needed was a mower.

It was kind of like why buy a stretch limo when all you were going to do with it was to commute back and forth to work.

1 - 12 of 12 Posts