Garden Tractor Forums banner
1 - 16 of 16 Posts

· Super Moderator
55,685 Posts
Yesterday I brought up the remnants of a Ford LGT 165 I have sitting out back. I hope to use the Hydro on a project that is in the works, so I needed to get it torn apart. I plan to use the foot pedal for travel so that will stay with it. I had already taken some things off, now it is getting into the rest of it.

Tire Wheel Vehicle Automotive tire Motor vehicle

First off was the deck lift mechanism. May be able to use some of these pieces on the Ford.

Wood Road surface Tool Composite material Gas

Next is the front axle. The roll pin came out easily, but the pin itself needed a BFH to drive it out. Seems to be in decent shape otherwise.

Wood Cylinder Pipe Metal Natural material
Automotive tire Wood Bumper Motor vehicle Gas

Now I am deciding where to cut the frame as I want to keep the rear section attached for now. Hopefully, I will have the tractor home this goes into so I will be able to see what I need.

I guess I will go ahead and spill the beans! The tractor I hope to put this into is an AC 716 6-speed. It had been used as a puller and they cut the front frame to accept a Kohler Magnum Twin, which I happen to have one of those. I plan to take everything from the BGB back off it and install this Eaton/Peerless in there. I will have a different seat/rear fender arraignment also. Should keep me busy for a while.

As I get going, I will need some help figuring some things out. It will be next month before I bring the AC home, so stay tuned.

Attachments

· Super Moderator
1976 Sears SS16, 2008 JD 2320
14,180 Posts
Kenny would that be known as an Allis Ford or a Ford Chalmers. Sounds like an interesting build. It will be interesting to see how you put the 2 different frame styles together.

· Super Moderator
55,685 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
It's going to be fun, Brian! The tubes from the Ford frame may go away, but I want to leave them for now. I need the other 'half' to see what stays and what goes. I have never taken either type tractor apart this far so have no idea what I am looking at. I would like to see if it is feasible to lengthen the wheelbase a few inches, Plus I plan to have the rear wheels out wider (install the Ford wheels inside out). Plus I will use the 2-valve hydraulics so I can have separate front and rear hyds. I need to find another handle for that set of spools.

· Super Moderator
55,685 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
Kenny would that be known as an Allis Ford or a Ford Chalmers. Sounds like an interesting build. It will be interesting to see how you put the 2 different frame styles together.
Been thinking about that, Brian, and came up with Alford!

· I dont deny your history..... dont deny mine
1,485 Posts
I would stick with the tube frame if it was me. Not sure what you had planned, but the tube frame jakes are probably the strongest and easiest to modify

Reactions: KennyP

· Super Moderator
55,685 Posts
Discussion Starter · #10 ·
Great to see you working on another project. If that's the tractor I brought up to you, it was a LGT 145. But that doesn't change anything as they were the same.
Yes it is Brian! I could not see getting it back running again as there was too many things wrong!

I got it cut in 2, but having second thoughts as I am not sure if what is left will work. Gotta get the 716 home so I know what I am working towards!

· Super Moderator
55,685 Posts

· Super Moderator
55,685 Posts
Discussion Starter · #13 ·
I took the rest of the frame off it today! Also gave it a bath! Drained the fluid, too! Just waiting for the 716 to get here now!

Tire Wheel Automotive tire Vehicle Synthetic rubber
Tire Automotive tire Wheel Tread Motor vehicle

not sure what is going on with the brake, it wobbles badly! But I have pics on how things go.

Attachments

Reactions: Newpaws493 and Alc

· Super Moderator
55,685 Posts
Discussion Starter · #14 ·
Got some of the rear things sorted out and a basic frame made today!

Tire Wheel Automotive tire Vehicle Tread
Tire Wheel Automotive tire Vehicle Motor vehicle

Wood Machine tool Fixture Gas Machine
Tire Wheel Automotive tire Tread Vehicle

Tire Wheel Automotive tire Vehicle Motor vehicle
Tire Wheel Automotive tire Motor vehicle Vehicle

Wood Bumper Motor vehicle Gas Automotive exterior
Wood Gas Nut Machine Metal

I threw in a Sears Craftsman II fuel tank to see what it looked like on there!

Attachments

· Super Moderator
55,685 Posts
Been fooling with this some more! I have the brake mechanism set up. I want to make a couple spacers for the pin to keep the band more centered. I also reworked the arm for the 3-point lift as it was too close to the brake. You can see it in the third pic of post 14. I'll get some pics today.

I did shoot a couple as I was cutting the new piece for the lift arm. I wanted to cut a 45° angle, but didn't want to spend the time moving the fence for the band saw. so I came up with this.

Saw Wood Tool Gas Machine

I think I did okay as the 2 cut off pieces are nearly the same.

Wood Gas Rectangle Metal Brick

Today, I'll be working on the cylinder mount for the rear lift. I don't plan to have a center lift right now. I think I have just enough room to get the cylinder between the brake and side. We'll see.

Attachments

Reactions: Newpaws493

· Super Moderator
55,685 Posts
Discussion Starter · #16 ·
Got some pics! Here's the brake band.

Wood Headgear Automotive lighting Tambourine Personal protective equipment

Some pics of the other things!

Motor vehicle Automotive wheel system Gas Machine Automotive tire
Wood Gas Wood stain Building material Hardwood

Motor vehicle Automotive tire Vehicle Tire Tread
Wood Motor vehicle Gas Machine Auto part

I went to Johnny's this afternoon and something followed me home!

Tire Wheel Vehicle Car Automotive tire
Wheel Tire Vehicle Automotive tire Motor vehicle

Wheel Tire Vehicle Automotive tire Motor vehicle
Tire Wheel Vehicle Automotive tire Motor vehicle

Here's the fenders I hope to use!

Motor vehicle Gas Machine Auto part Metal

Attachments

1 - 16 of 16 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.